Cucumbers

Deimos

Through the summer nice cucumbers available in the shops.  Then they started to go uneven shapes and price bounced around (normal to expensive).  More recently they have gone back to being cheap, very even shape and wrapped in plastic.

I prefer buying local fresh produce that has a minimal "carbon footprint" (i.e. not raised in heated greenhouses, etc.).  Does anybody know if these plastic wrapped ones OK or are then greenhouse raised or shipped in from miles away ?

Ian

[quote user="Bugbear"]

[:D][:D][:D]

My christmas day parsnips are looking good. I dug one up yesterday to check.

Mmmmmmmm............................[:)]

[/quote]

I always thought parsnips were the most objectionable of vegetables until I ate some slow roasted in olive oil. We had some yesterday with dinner and will again tomorrow at lunch.

[quote user="Eos"][quote user="Bugbear"]

[:D][:D][:D]

My christmas day parsnips are looking good. I dug one up yesterday to check.

Mmmmmmmm............................[:)]

[/quote]

I always thought parsnips were the most objectionable of vegetables until I ate some slow roasted in olive oil. We had some yesterday with dinner and will again tomorrow at lunch.

[/quote]

I used to agree with you about parsnips, but try coating them in oil then honey (get your hands nice and messy), salt and pepper and roast - yummy! I do carrots this way too sometimes.