Four letter word - diet part 2

Joy1

I'd love to tell you that I had lost or gained but the truth is I don't know!. We made a fatal error and moved our digital scales in the week and yesterday it looked as if I had gained 3lbs [:@][:@] Put me in a foul mood !

Today we moved them back and I had stayed the same according to the scales, so we moved them again, and I'd lost 1lb, or 4lbs since yesterday!!!!!!. We always take the average of 3 weighs and all the floors are tiled..........so I really have no idea.

My husband suggested looking for digital scales like they have in the doctors - at £299 [:(][:(] I think not.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Joy, excellent result, you must be really pleased - and feeling FABULOUS!

Russethouse, think you should just go with the best reading [:)].  I know what you mean by 'doing the best of three'.  Our digital scales are the ones where you have to tap them first with your foot to activate them.  By the time I've finished getting on and off, "just to make sure", my husband says it sounds like I've kicked them into submission [:D]

Had a seriously boozy evening on Valentines and had to have a 'comfort' day yesterday.  Will let you know what damage has been caused next week [:$]

Lynda x

Hi Lynda, Our are the same, we used to keep them on a board, in our bedroom, but the board was needed for something else so they came downstairs onto tile. This week the board has become free again so I think they can live in the bathroom where they shouldn't have to be moved at all.

Still, every cloud has a silver lining and I've started filling in 'fitday' www.fitday.com and actually measured my porridge to make sure that wasn't the problem.!!

Well done to everyone else who has lost [:)]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2G2UEv/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w2G2UEv/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

'Morning Everyone.  Well it seems my Valentine blow-out didn't do any lasting damage as I've lost 2lbs this week - hurrah! [:D][:D]

My target of 2lb a week is nicely levelling off now, after my somewhat amazing start, and this week I'm 2lb ahead of the game.  I have a line on my spreadsheet which tracks 2lb off per week.  If I knew how to get a copy of it on to here then I'd let you have a copy to track your own weight loss - should of course you want one!  I do find it quite motivating to fill it in every Tuesday and it's SERIOUSLY motivating to see it plummeting downwards.  I realised last week that each time the Tracker/Tickler/Ticker thingy is updated, the previous weeks are also updated too.  This means that anyone looking at this thread for the first time will think that none of us have lost any weight !!! [:'(] [:D]

You may have notice (but probably haven't, and why should you) that, in a moment of overconfident madness, I have extended my Ticker goal weight.  This new target weight is what I weighed when I got my Weight Watchers Gold Membership (sounds like some sort of lifetime award doesn't it)  - in 1994 [:-))]  I did maintain it for quite a while but haven't been back at that weight since so I'm very excited about getting there again.  If I manage another 2lbs next week then I'll be back to my lowest from last year and all my winter over indulgence will be undone.  From thereon in it will be 'new ground' I'll be treading .... ooo, the excitement of it all!

Hope you've all had an excellent week - and that your scales are now behaving Russethouse [:)]

Lynda x

A friend of mine recently went to see a Cardiologist.  Here's a transcript of their conversation ....

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life; is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... Don't waste them on exercise . Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.  

_____ 

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable).

And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products 

_____ 

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

_____ 

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one.

If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

_____ 

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!

_____ 

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: You're not listening.... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil.

In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?  

_____ 

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.  

_____ 

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?

A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans! Another vegetable.  It's the best feel-good food around!!  

_____ 

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.  

_____ 

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape! !

_____ 

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

Food for thought, hey? [:D]

Lynda x

Hi everyone. I am posting today as I am heading off to the UK to visit my parents for the school holidays! (No computer access!!) My MIL has been staying with us for the past 2 weeks so we have been out for several large meals in the past couple of weeks. Not good news for those of us trying to loose weight- why does my will power disappear every time i go to a restaurant! I haven't dared go near the scales for the past week and have decided to wait until back from the UK. Hope things are going well for everyone. Joy

[/url]

Results for this week (week 8) = 1lb loss [:D]

Total weight loss so far = 17lbs [:D][:D]

NEW MEMBERS NEEDED - SIGN UP NOW !!!!!

This thread has had over 900 views - presumably by lots of perfectly shaped, beautiful people who are just curious to see what this loosing weight lark is all about [:P] ... OR ... there may be a few of you out there who are thinking, "Mmm, perhaps I ought to loose a lb or two before I have to start thinking about fitting into shorts/swimming cossies".  I just can't believe that so many people are simply interested in trials and tribulations of our little band of four people, so come on now all you closet dieting would-be's, don't be shy, join our little virtual Fat Club today - you'll be so glad you did [:D]

(Join today and take advantage of the no membership fee special offer!) [;-)]

Lynda x

Well done Lynda - you must be the star "loser" on this site.

I'm still stuck in a rut - not sure what else I can do apart from starve myself.  Still no weight loss yet again this week.  With the weather being so c**p as well, I'm not getting much exercise either.  We did have a couple of nice days last week and I managed to get out into the garden to do some serious weeding, but then it starting raining again and hasn't really stopped since then.  It certainly knows how to rain in the Correze.  The ground is just too wet and muddy to get onto without a 2 inch build up on the bottom of my wellies.

I'll keep slogging away at it though in the hope that I can lose some before the summer.

Keep up the good work and yes, where are all you closet dieters - join up, it's free and we'd love to know how you are doing.

Jan

I'm back [:D] Can I please please please take advantage of the current free offer

Really well donde Lynda, if I could lose 17lb I would be over the moon. Thanks for motivating us we used to have Alexis to motivate us but I think she is in Italy via Scotland. All the best Alexis if you are logging in.

Last November I lost 5 kilos, the first loss even though dieting for years. I gave up the alcohol, didn't want to say it too loudly. Unfortunately I had a drink at Christmas and that was that [6] I won't need to buy anything for red nose day.Also waist is definitely getting bigger with the wine. I vowed this wouldn't happen- when I lost the weight people said how well I looked. Don't know whether it was lack of alcohol or weight loss but bags under eyes disappeared and skin was glowing  and I actually got a 'Have you lost weight' [blink] and I enjoyed getting dressed up. Back to big jumpers again and baggy eyes are back [:'(] but determined to lose again it felt sooooo good.

Trying to make today the last alcohol,coffee,choccy day, how much can you stuff in one go [:P] Going to have such a headache tomorrow.

Know what you mean about the weather Jan, it's the same here in the Lot feels a bit like living under water. We will be big losers this year get the bikini out, noticed you did lose weight that's great [:D]

The other Jan

Soon to be Slimming & Smiling [:D]

Hi Jan

Mmm, not sure about the star "loser" title [:P]

Hey, don't get dispondent, you can and will lose weight; all you need to do is decide how you're going to do it, e.g. count cals, fat units, Souyth Beach, whatever, and then have a plan.  It doesn't have to be a complicated plan, just perhaps a 'menu' for the day ahead - one day at a time - and then stick to it.  There is absolutely no reason at all why you should consider "starving" (and I know you were slightly kidding), but if you don't eat enough then you can actually have a reverse affect and your body will start to conserve your fat supplies because it thinks that there's some sort of famine happening!  Someone once said to me that you need to think of it like a burning fire: if there's not enough fuel then the fire will go out and stop burning.  However, with just the right amount of fuel the fire will burn well - and you won't be left with loads of ash! [:D]

As I've said before, my regime is to simply count calories.  At the moment my only exercise is walking the dogs every day for about 40 minutes and so I'm allowing myself about 1250 cals a day.  I have complete freedom as to what I 'spend' my calories on so I can be as naughty or as good as I like - providing I don't go over 1250 cals!  However, if I'm going out for dinner one evening then I might have fewer cals for a day or two before so that I've got some cals 'in the bank'.  I've also mentioned before that I write down everything that I eat.  Now that I'm in to week 8 there are lots of meals that we have regularly (like the red pepper chicken in an earlier post) so I already know their calorie content and that makes it easier to keep tally - and also to plan ahead.  We've got two sets of visitors arriving in a couple of weeks and I already know what we're going to eat - and beleive me, it won't be lettuce leaves and carrot sticks!!

By the way, my husband eats exactly the same (delish and not diet-like at all) food as me, I just give him bigger portions.  However, he too has lost 10lbs - and he hasn't even been trying!  If it helps in any way at all, I'd be happy to give you some sample days of what I've been eating just so that you can see that you can eat well and still lose weight.

By the way, it knows how to rain in South Charente too ("the second sunniest place in France after the south coast" ..??? ... I want my money back!!!! )[:D] - Not really, we love it - rain and all!

Keep smiling and hang on in there girl !

Lynda x

Hi other Jan

Glad to have you back on board - where have you been?

I seem to be of "that" age, where things just don't go to plan!  This has happened the last couple of years when I have tried to lose weight.  First couple of week OK, then nothing.  I know starving is not the answer as I have done the cambridge and although I lost 22lb and felt great, as soon as I stopped it all piled back on again, then I was ill and am limited to what exercise I can do, then moving to France with good food and wine.  I've cut down on a lot of things, but I just can't shift the weight.

Doesn't help that I won a leg of deer at lotto at Christmas (still in the freezer) and our local farmer brought me up another piece the other day (still in the freezer) and I also won a leg of lamb at a raffle a couple of weeks ago (still in the freezer).  The only recipes I have are extremely tasty looking (I've never cooked venison before), but I expect really fattening considering you have to marinate in red wine for 3 days.  Ce la vie.   I am determined to lose even half a stone before the end of May when my first lot of visitors arrive.

Gotta go and sort dinner now [:D] back later.

Jan

Hello Jan good to be back. Instead of  being Lost in the Lot eight years into the renovation 'project' we decided to run away to Spain for the Winter.

Lost the weight in November then ate really well for a couple of months, lean meat and fish with veg, fruit and honey for dessert, no alcohol, no weight gain but then came Christmas. Whollop bang I started to drink again, found the alcohol made me eat more.Really trying to have two months on two months off, giving up isn't realistic.

You have been lucky with the lottos and raffles can smell the venison cooking from here.

I lost weight for the first time in years by completely cutting out alcohol coffee tea etc only drank water, hot with lemon if I fancied. Breakfast a yoghurt, Lunch a cheese/ham/tuna salad no dressing followed by grapes. Dinner lean meat or fish with veg or lettuce followed by grapes or banana and honey. I did get used to it and got comments on how well I looked. Strange but found the grapes really helped.

Have had a few 'situations' which have made me turn to drink and chocolate but determined to get back on track it did feel so good to be 'thin'.

Heres to half a stone lighter by end of May [:D]

Thanks for the welcome Lynda, I'm pleased to be back.

The Other Jan

I think my downfall is the alcohol.  I can't seem to go an evening without having a glass or two or red.  Hope that doesn't male me an alcoholic.

The OH usually gets up before me and makes me a cuppa when he hears movement upstairs.  I've tried to persuade him to pour me a cup of hot water in the mornings, but he is so forgetful, I get tea (even though it's decaf). 

I drink loads of water anyway (room temperature) as I am still getting the ol' bouffles.  If I drink cold water it makes it worse.  I've almost cut out the lovely french bread that Intermarche do and gone onto Pittas stuffed with tuna and tomatoes or ham and cheese at lunchtime.  Sometimes, come evening, I just don't have the urge to eat, so I don't but the weight is still not dropping off.  Having a "tropical moment now" - just going to go stand in the rain>

Where was I ............ Friends are coming back from England on the 11th and I've asked them to bring me a copy of Neris and India's Idiot proof diet.  Hopefully I might pick up some hints.  I've done with GI, South Beach, Cambridge, etc.  I'm just no good at eating the right things I guess.  I blame my mum - lol.  She would buy Weightwatchers Lasagne and add extra cheese to make it taste better and then wonder why she wasn't losing weight, and I think I've inherited that gene.

[/url]

I've been planning what to say here in an effort not to sound smug.  No, sorry, just can't do it .........

I'VE LOST ANOTHER THREE POUNDS THIS WEEK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  [:D] [:D] [:D] YAHOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I'm really sorry girls but, in response to your earlier posts, I DO drink alcohol - at least two or three (150ml) glasses of wine a day and  I DO drink (full-caff) tea and coffee - couldn't cope in a morning without my first cup of coffee! - and yet I have still lost 20lbs.  I guess the only thing that I do differently - apart from counting up to 1300 cals a day - is not to eat bread, or very rarely anyway.  In fact, when I do eat it I find that it makes me quite bloated, so there's another good reason not to eat it.

In fairness, since last Tuesday I have started to do 20 mins a day on the crosstrainer so that might have helped too.

I wore my Long Tall Sally size 12 jeans for the first time yesterday!  (I bought them last year but never quite got slim enough to get into them).

I just wish that I could bottle and send to you all the brilliant feeling of being healthy (I too am at the 'tropical moments' stage in my life), more energized, in control, and feeling good about myself, - not to mention the thrill of planning what to wear!

OK, smug, self-righteous moment over [:D]

Hope you've all had a good week too.

Lynda x

Well Lynda - what can I say but - well done you.  You must be really chuffed to be able to get into your size 12 jeans.  You are obviously doing it right, so keep at it.  Only 8lb to go.

Me, I've put on 2lb this week.  Don't ask me how or why.  We did go out to dinner on Friday night to a friend who wanted to try out a couple of new recipes.  She is such a brilliant cook and dinner was a 3-courser, but I only had two.  I had to stop after the main course.  Which was a shame because one of her "new" recipes was a made from scratch chocolate fondant pudding and it looked absolutely delicious, but I just couldn' eat any more.

Despite that one night of indulgence, I've been pretty sensible about what I've eaten, but to no avail. 

We've got friends driving back from England next weekend and she's bringing me my favourite Ryvita, so I'll be back on those shortly.  I just love sesame Ryvita spread with Marmite.

Anyway - if you do find a way to bottle your recipe for success - I'll be one of the first takers.

Congrats.

Jan

Well done Lynda, wish I knew the feeling [:D]  Your weight loss is amazing and obviously given you the incentive to keep going, is elation the correct description. 

Jan, I think we feel the same. How did you get on with the alcohol this week? I got on very well-drank more [6]

No change this week but at least the plateau is a bit lower than last year.  I would love to lose weight and keep drinking alcohol but I am pretty sure that is the problem. I don't eat bread had half a slice yesterday for the first time in ages and like you said Lynda tummy blew up like a balloon. Dare I ask what age group you are in?

Perhaps I need to dust off the stepper again, perhaps blow the dust off me as well.  Wish the weather would get better it makes me SAD which makes me drink which makes me sad. Oh dear I feel dizzy [geek] 

Must keep thinking of how sad I will look in shorts if I don't keep slimming and smiling [:D]

The Other Jan

I didn't do too bad with the alcohol this week.  Had two days where I had none at all, then the rest of the week only a couple of glasses.  As for bread, I get the same too.  Which is a shame because I love the French bread and Intermarche is the best.

What's really weird is that I normally get up in the morning and my stomach is comfortable and then gets worse during the day.  But this morning when I got up, it feels like I've eaten a huge meal and it looks like it too [:D]

Age and metabolism.  I am 51 this year (still a youngster), and my metabolism must be really slow.  I've had two days serious digging in the veg plot, and apart from aching all over, don't feel I've benefitted from the exercise at all.

I've just had an invite back to England to do some spring wardrobe shopping, but I daren't even think about that at the moment. 

Jan

C'mon girls, think positive!  If I can do it I promise you ANYONE can!!!  As I've said before, all it takes is planning - and, yes, I accept it can't be done without willpower. 

Poppy, (is it OK if I call you that - less confusing) I'm 53 at the beginning - the very beginning - of April !!!  Many people that know me say that it's a very approprite birthday for me!  [:D]

Lynda x