Porrage

Gardengirl

We normally have porrage for breakfast in the UK, and  took a pack of porrage oats when we went to France for New Year. To save taking more by plane for our next visit, I looked around and saw some packs labelled 'avoine' while there, and see that means oats. Does anyone know if they might be similar to the nice and easy cook for 5 minutes variety I use normally? I don't want to get in to the cook -all -night Scottish oats we ate as children!

Thanks, Jo 

It is actually increasingly difficult to find old-fashioned Scottish milled oats. They have a lower glycemic index (as they are less starchy)- and therefore much better for diabetics. I make my own 'magic porridge', with a few sunflower, sesame and pumkin seeds crushed with a couple of almonds or other nuts, a few cranberries, 1 prune, 1 apricot, 1 slice dried apple (recipe not fixed - it changes according to whatever available) - + handful oats - add boiling water + little milk and into microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. Not hours...  and 2 approx 2 portions of fruit.

As a Scot and not unfamiliar with said gloop I can confirm I have never known or experienced the cook all night variety of oats. Neither would I want to.

Cheap oats are horrid but if you want a quick tip place oats in a pan and fill to brim with cold water agitate gently to lift the starch dust and tip excess water away, do this a couple of times then leave the wet oats to stand overnight (with a lid on) In the morning simply add milk and cook as you would normally with a pinch of salt.

Oats will be pre-softened so cook more readily (You can microwave them this way too but cover the bowl with some pierced clingfilm as hot Porridge is like napalm)

Do Scots have sugar on their porridge? yes they do in my case it needs to be a light sprinkling of dark brown sugar...gives the porridge a nice treacly taste!