Green Peppers Surplus

[quote user="Gemonimo"]How about stuffing them with either a vegetarian or meat filling and then freeing them. [/quote]

Nah, don't free them, they'd only run wild and may bolt.  Stick them in the freezer instead.

Hi, Jen, not really funny, I know.  Just so pleased to see you posting I couldn't resist replying!

Good Luck with them, LL.  Gemonimo's suggestion is a very good one.  When can I come round to taste your peppers once you have thawed and cooked them?

Nah, they're just on forum.

The green peppers, you could also cut them up, blanch them and just freeze them to use as and when - they're great in Spanish omelettes, and any stews you want to put them in.

OR....you could leave them on the plants, waiting for them to turn red. That would make them much sweeter - and you could grill then - flattening them each in 4 or 2 pieces on a baking tray - and then taking off the skin, slicing them up and freezing them like this. They keep very well, and when you take them out, just a drizzle of olive oil, salt, a touch of balsamic, some thyme, and it's a wonderful entrée or accompaniement.

[quote user="5-element"]Nah, they're just on forum.

The green peppers, you could also cut them up, blanch them and just freeze them to use as and when - they're great in Spanish omelettes, and any stews you want to put them in.

OR....you could leave them on the plants, waiting for them to turn red. That would make them much sweeter - and you could grill then - flattening them each in 4 or 2 pieces on a baking tray - and then taking off the skin, slicing them up and freezing them like this. They keep very well, and when you take them out, just a drizzle of olive oil, salt, a touch of balsamic, some thyme, and it's a wonderful entrée or accompaniement.
[/quote]

"Just on forum" indeed!!!  Look, this isn't exactly showing respect is it?

But, I have just told OH to leave the peppers on the plants to turn red as I love the idea of freezing them after grilling them.

Miam, miam.........balsamic vinegar with that lovely dark colour and thyme all nice and green.  Feast for the eyes as well as the stomach!

More than that we could not ask......[:P]

[quote user="5-element"]Nah, they're just on forum.

[/quote]

When I do this, they never get to the freeezer.  I roast them, put them in a plastic bag to chill in order to peel them more easily, then I put them in a jar with olive oil and garlic cloves and keep them in the fridge.  They are fabulous (although rather messy) when I have an apero on the terrace[Www].  No balsamic, but I'm funny like that - no balsimic on tomato salad either.  Just tomatoes, lots of salt, olive oil and any basil that the snails haven't eaten.....!

Thank you all for the suggestions! My peppers are all green as my French neighbour who always gives me gardening advice (whether I need it or not! lol!)  tells me that I MUST pick them before they go red! I tried to tell him that in the UK we like them red but he somehow does not believe me and he keeps 'helping' by picking them for me and leaving them on the window cill! I have to lose some weight before going into hospital, so I think I will be majoring on the ol' veggie delights!