coals to Newcastle or figs to the Dordogne?

virginia.c

I have two large fig trees bursting with fruit. I can only eat so many and loathe them in any other cooked/pickled or preserved guise. Both my trees grow on a fairly steep bank but I do have an impressive long tool with which to nab them. I have tried to give them to my French neighbour but she's got too many herself to be interested. My question is, if anyone lives near Hautefort and for some reason cannot find figs, you are very welcome to come and pick some fresh and delicious ones for yourself. I can't bear watching them rot! Pm me if you are interested.

A friend suggested freezing them for crumbles later on in the winter.  I guess cut them into quarters first.

She said they make a lovely crumble, she's French, not a bit of Anglophone in her but I do find it funny how in the last several years the French have got into making crumbles - they're very English AFAIK.

I have often seen crumble recipes in french magazines made in the form of a tart with a pastry base and just a light layer of crumble on top.

Re the laxative properties - trust me people - no need to do anything to them! And, I had been thinking about crumble so put a couple of them in the freezer yesterday just to see how they are when defrosted - will let you know. I think that;s a good idea and will try it, also the tart idea.

In desperation yesterday I drove round with a full bucket in the car handing out figs to all and sundry. A campsite took a few (not that gratefully - maybe the toilets weren't up to scratch), then an old lady in the centre of Hautefort who looked at me as if I were completely crazy, but took the rest. At this rate I'll be lobbing them out of the windows whilst racing past the odd unfortunate at great speed and with my numberplate disguised.