Curds

Babbles

Traditionally you need rennet to make this; the online translation gives this as présure. Sorry, don't know if this is right, and don't know where to buy it. However, I see in a Dales recipe you can also use lemon juice. Heat 2 litres of milk (not skimmed) almost to boiling, add lemon juice (1/2 to 1 lemon), and stir until it curdles. Allow to stand until cool, and drain through a cheesecloth overnight. This should produce about 10 oz (300g) of curd. I've never made it myself; if you make it, it would be interesting to know how it turned out.

When I go back to Yorkshire to visit my 93 yr old aunt, she quite often buys a Yorkshire curd tart from Betty's - I haven't the heart to tell her I don't actually like it ..... but yes, it is some form of milk based tart, but which has been made to "go off" with rennet etc.  I should think lemon juice would do the job.

[quote user="bubbles"]Sounds revolting to me.[/quote]

No, I suppose if you like the taste, it is quite OK.  A cross between a custard and a cheesecake, but nothing like either in taste or consistency.  Sometimes it has sultanas in it, which is actually the bit I detest! 

[quote user="Judith"][quote user="bubbles"]Sounds revolting to me.[/quote]
No, I suppose if you like the taste, it is quite OK.  A cross between a custard and a cheesecake, but nothing like either in taste or consistency.  Sometimes it has sultanas in it, which is actually the bit I detest! 
[/quote]

I LOVE it, the sultanas, the lot!  Haven't had it in years, mind.

Glad you like it Sweets, maybe you have to be a Northerner to love it, but it has to have sultanas in it, hardly ever eat it when I'm in the UK but really fancy a piece now with a nice cup of tea!

It is different to cottage cheese (see link to another post), but I don't really know why or how

Don't even mention Betty's please!  The only place I've ever been to that is a little like Betty's was one of these coffee and pastry places, of which there are a fair number, in Bruges.

But, Betty's is definitely the biggest palace of delights that I have remembered from my one and only visit there.

Is Betty's in Harrogate? My experiences of up North are limited to the best fish and chips I have ever had and that was at Whitby. Then the best beef ever in Edinburgh after we were once more smashed at Rugby. The worse hangover at the Ice Rink at Murrayfield after a night out.

The best faggots and peas Pontypridd market. The best cockles indoor market Swansea.

There are 6 branches of Bettys (sorry Sweet, Bettys is still on the menu here!). There's one in Harrogate centre, one at the RHS garden at Harlow Carr, the main one at York and a newer branch just round the corner, plus branches at Ilkeley and Northallerton. Bettys also have a sister cmpany, Taylors, of tea fame.

The atmosphere is lovely, service very good, and things are served as though in a bygone era, with pleasant staff in aprons, and proper china and cakes on tiered cake plates. It's pricey though!

I particularly love having tea or a meal at the main York branch; I feel warm and cosy just mentioning it! It's a beautiful art deco building, designed and built by those from the Queen Mary, whose maiden voyage the founder travelled on. There's also some very interesting glass downstairs, where some of the many airmen stationed nearby in the war engraved their signature, and which has been preserved.

At times there's a pianist playing, too. Be warned, the queues can go right round the building, as they don't take bookings, and they never hurry you! I remember we once stayed at the Caravan Club site close to the centre of York while my husband worked there for a few days, and I wandered York on my own; Bettys for a mid-morning drink and a bun or two each day, and a couple of suppers there together- bliss!

Though I've used both Harrogate and York Bettys, the one I know best is the Ilkley one.  We were taken as young girls by grandmother to have coffee and cakes there (it looked more like a Lyons in those days, not the posher place it is now, but the service and food was just as good), and that is where I learnt to use cake forks (fingers were better we thought!), but now, since my aunt lives a step or two away (up the hill!) from the Ilkely one, I usually go eat time I visit.  Last visit I went twice, once with my aunt, and the second time to meet an old school friend who I hadn't seen since I left school (which is over 40 years ago).  One the waitress (apron and all) realised we were there for the duration she didn't bother us, just checked occasionally if we were OK.  We made a pot of tea and cakes last over two hours!.  Sublime.

The only thing I know of a similar stature is the Vienna coffee house - but don't get me started on that!

Taylors produce Yorkshire tea bags, still the only tea I know to make a proper cup of tea.  And you can get them here - even at an inflated price they are worth it.

[quote user="Judith"] I usually go eat time I visit.  Last visit I went twice, once with my aunt, and the second time to meet an old school friend who I hadn't seen since I left school (which is over 40 years ago).  One the waitress (apron and all) realised we were there for the duration she didn't bother us, just checked occasionally if we were OK.  We made a pot of tea and cakes last over two hours!.  Sublime.

The only thing I know of a similar stature is the Vienna coffee house - but don't get me started on that!

Taylors produce Yorkshire tea bags, still the only tea I know to make a proper cup of tea.  And you can get them here - even at an inflated price they are worth it.
[/quote]

Now, there's a Freudian slip if ever I see one![:D]

Found this description on the t'internet and sounds pretty similar to curd cheese so I think I'll give it a go with it and see how I get on.

Mascarpone is a pale cream-coloured soft, spreadable cream cheese made from cream from cow's milk.

Unlike other cheeses, Mascarpone uses no starter or Rennet, so it's not really a cheese: it's more akin to Clotted Cream, Crème Fraîche, Sour Cream or Yoghurt.

The cream is heated to 190 F (88 C.) Citric acid is added to curdle it. The curd is stirred, then allowed to drain for 24 hours. The curd is then mixed, whipped, and packed in tubs for sale, and sent to market.

GardenGirl, do you mean close to the Abbey Gardens

and the Bury Language School?

If so, no, that's not the one I meant.

My one is just along the road from the smallest pub in England, the Nutshell.

Close to the Corn Exchange.

Quite a large establishment in elegant premises.

I know all the waitresses were dressed in black with white aprons and little frilly caps.

Yes. I don't know of one near the Nutshell, but it sounds very nice. We've been going to BSE regularly over the last 3 years, usually pop in to the Angel for a meal or sandwiches when we're anywhere nearby. I'll look out for the tearoom on our next visit, which won't be for a while, but I can't picture one.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Judith"] I usually go eat time I visit.  Last visit I went twice, once with my aunt, and the second time to meet an old school friend who I hadn't seen since I left school (which is over 40 years ago).  One the waitress (apron and all) realised we were there for the duration she didn't bother us, just checked occasionally if we were OK.  We made a pot of tea and cakes last over two hours!.  Sublime.

[/quote]

Now, there's a Freudian slip if ever I see one![:D]

[/quote]

Thanks S17!!!  So much for proof reading before posting!!

Certainly it's not worth going each time without eating something as well ...... ha! ha!