French no longer the best?

Mr Coeur de Lion

After spending two weeks in New Jersey, a pretty plain and boring State in the US with little in the way of things to do etc, I am absolutely amazed at the quality, cheapness and above all the choice of food there is over here.

In France, I also live in a pretty boring and non descript departement (Indre), and would have to travel to either Blois, Chateauroux or Tours to find any semblance of choice and quality in terms of food.

What is this stereotype that French food is the best in the world? Imo it clearly isn't and the choice is shocking too. I thought the French lived for food? Am I missing something here?

Within 10 minutes of a small unimportant American village, I can go to a diner where there is more choice in food there than probably within a 40 mile radius of my home in France. I don't get it. I am really shocked and would have to question Frances "claim" to be kings of the food world.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Within 10 minutes of a small unimportant American village, I can go to a diner where there is more choice in food there than probably within a 40 mile radius of my home in France. I don't get it. I am really shocked and would have to question Frances "claim" to be kings of the food world.[/quote]

But how much of that large choice of food would be traditional American food?

I agree that in France you have to travel a long way to eventually find a very poor imitation of another countries cuisine but does a lack of variety and/or foreign restaurants affect the pride a country has in its own cuisine?

In fact I can answer my own question, being well travelled I dislike eating in foreign restaurants as they rarely live up to what I have eaten in the country, often cooked in the gutter and s for the price!!!!!! Well any French person who has visited an Indian, Chinese or Mexican restaurant in France (with perhaps some parts of Paris being the exception) even if they were not counting the cost would come to the conclusion that foreign food is inferior to French.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"] And Sweet, it's just one American in particular that holds my interest ;)[/quote]

I know, Richard, just didn't want to be the one mentioning your "affairs of the heart" on open Forum!  Hope she's er.........."worth it"?  Isn't that how the advert words it?[:D]

[quote user="Chancer"]If only some other things in France were taken half as seriously as food......................[/quote]

I agree, Chancer:  food in general and LUNCH in particular.

Last night, OH went to a table tennis match in a town over an hour's drive away.  The match started at about 9.00 pm.  What time do you think OH came home?

4.00 am, yes, that's right 7 hours later............because, of course, there was a 3-course meal plus coffee, etc. after the match![:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"] And Sweet, it's just one American in particular that holds my interest ;)[/quote]

I know, Richard, just didn't want to be the one mentioning your "affairs of the heart" on open Forum!  Hope she's er.........."worth it"?  Isn't that how the advert words it?[:D]

[/quote]

She is :)