bread machines, how long should they last?

water rat

As you might all have gathered, I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to bread! [:D]

Even planning to build a small wood-fired bread oven in France. The purists maintain the type of wood burnt, imparts distinct flavour.

There is a wealth of interesting stuff about the subject on YouTube: do look at the guy "Scuffling" the big wood-fired bread oven: and the guys loading up the oven with loaves; and the sheer size of their "Peel". (The long wooden spatula thingy).

Also look at the baker forming high-hydration dough into loaves: that's how baguettes and much italian bread is made: and believe me it is not easy as it sticks to your fingers and hands and can become a rather nasty mess! The secret is in the way he keeps folding the dough back into itself like a Swiss Roll: and it is this that creates the essential baguette consistency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoqgCl0bUnc&feature=related

I have frozen dough which has had its first rise then " knocked down". When you want to use it , it takes a long time to thaw out and get to the point of rising again, several hours.

It does work, but the resulting loaves never have quite the same spring as a freshly made loaf.

[quote user="Patf"]I have frozen dough which has had its first rise then " knocked down". When you want to use it , it takes a long time to thaw out and get to the point of rising again, several hours.
It does work, but the resulting loaves never have quite the same spring as a freshly made loaf.
[/quote]

That's what I suspected, Patf. I believe it is mainly because the chemical reaction between the yeast and sugar enzymes has been halted: at the wrong point.

Same happens when I have kept back a small quantity of dough in the fridge for two days or so for Pizzas, e.g.

Overnight is fine: at circa 4 Deg.C the dough keeps rising, albeit slowly: that said, I've had high hydration dough keep rising, burst out of the clingfilm wrapping, and ooze all over fridge shelves making quite a mess!

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="sweet 17"]Pat, I'm still waiting for YOUR instructions.....[:D][/quote]

Here at last:

For a "brown" loaf I usually use Carrefour's Farines pour pain multi cereales et graines. Sometimes Hovis or other UK flour. But they come in larger bags so quantities would be different.

Dried yeast: Vahine's levure de boulangerie Trad.

flour - 1 kilo

yeast: 3 pkts

salt: 1 level tbsp

sugar: 3 level tbsp (or less)

oil: 4 fl. oz.

treacle : 1 tbsp

warmwater: 1 pint approx..

Mix flour salt and sugar in a large bowl. Yeast plus a teasp of sugar and half the warm water in another bowl.

Make a dip in the flour and pour in the yeast mixture and leave to bubble up. Meanwhile dissolve the treacle in a little boiling water and make up  to the other half pint with cold.

When the yeast is risen add the oil and the treacle/water a little at a time until you have a firm dough. You might need more or less fluid.I use a wooden spoon to mix.

Turn out onto worktop and knead for a few minutes, then cover with a cloth and leave to rise in a warm, draught free place until doubled.  Then knead again briefly, divide into 3 shapes (2lb loaf tins or round or oblong loaves, buns etc) and leave again to rise.

Bake in a preheated hot oven, gas 7to8, about 20 to30 minutes.

For white bread I use Carrefour's farines boulangères pour pain au lait ou brioché. This does include dried eggs, but sometimes I add a couple of eggs to the dough, mixed in with the oil. And you can use part milk in the liquid. Otherwise same recipe as the brown, without the treacle.