Where to shop

Pauline

In my opinion it does not exist, some things are cheaper in one and others in another, for a basket of say 10 comon items 3 will be cheaper in one , 3 in another, 2 and 2 in a couple of others etc.

And they regularly rotate what is cheaper to be the most expensive to trick you.

I"n general" Lidl and Aldi will be a little cheaper overall than Intermarché or Super-U, I did say in general!!! Meat and fish when on promo is "genarally" cheaper at Inter and Super.

To save money takes real hard work and you have to keep on top of all the constantly changing prices, a fortnightly shop for me now takes in all of the above shops.

Check all the promotions that arrive in your letter box.

Shopping around as has been said, is the clue to it in France, as I would say it is anywhere else.

In the UK for example Netto, Lidl and Aldi can be dearer than the biggies for some things. I have a friend who does all her shopping at Lidl, and yet I know that she pays far more than me for some things.

We always found that, if we did all our shopping in Leader Price it worked out the most economical.

We did have to buy a few things in Carrefour - Nescafe and Weetabix I seem to remember. (it was next door)

Our local Lidl was quite a small branch and didn't stock everything we wanted so we never used it for a full weekly splurge.

For us it depends on which shops are nearby (relatively speaking!). We always used to shop at Lidl and Intermarché, but at our new house Intermarché is miles away (but we have got SuperU, Leclerc and Lidl).

Studying the promo leaflets is essential if you don't want to waste money, as is plenty of room in the freezer to stock up when any meat is on promo.

Another thing is that each supermarket has it's fidelity card and they work in different ways. I shop mostly at Carrefour and they send you a monthly cheque based on how much you've spent; Plus you get lots of extra offers every time you shop.

Pauline

As has been suggested, find a couple of supermarkets you like, sign up for their loyalty cards and absolutely, as far as meat is concerned, buy in bulk when on special.

I just bought a small piece of roast pork for around 8 euros. Last time I purchased a pack with two roast joints and around 15 pork chops for less than 12 euros on special (just got caught out this time).

Oh, and don't even bother thinking there will ever be any meat on good offer for the two weeks leading up to christmas, although intermarche often have a special offer on turkey around 3 - 4 weeks before. Or, you can do what we did the first year, wait til christmas eve and buy the most miserable scrawny turkey you have ever seen (last one though !) for 35 euros .. never again !