creme anglaise

Patf

I want to make a sort of cheesecake which is light and not greasy. I've made a sponge base, instead of the biscuit and butter one.

Now I'm looking for a recipe for a topping similar to a creme anglaise, but thicker, so that it sets fairly solid, with cream rather than milk. And a bit of lemon if possible.

Can anyone suggest a recipe?

Firstly I have to say that I do not like cheesecake, but I do like thick creme patissiere, sort of thing you find in a mille feuille, which by the sounds of it is what you want. If it is, do you have a recipe for it, please bear in mind that there are lots of recipes out there to do it the 'right' way, me, I cheat.

I think that you have found my next screen name, thanks.

Crisps and bananas in a recipe, well I probably could, but with plantain along with the crisps. But it doesn't sound like it'd have the sort of zing I like in my cooking.

When I make "custard" for a trifle I make it as follows: It is very thick and sets well.  I was taught to do it at a "patisserie" course some years ago.

1/2 pint milk

1 oz sugar

2 level tablespoons cornflour

2 egg yolks

Put a little milk in a jug and dissolve sugar and cornflour

Put remainder of the milk in a pan and heat to scalding point

Pour hot milk into jug, stir quickly, put back into pan and add egg yolks. Whisk as you do it. 

Custard will thicken almost immediately, take off heat.

I use this recipe too when I want a thick custard to whip with mascarpone for a tiramisu.

Just leave to cool with cling film on the surface to stop skin forming.

Mrs H.

I like to whisk some evaporated milk up thick and then whisk in a cooled english jelly which you can buy easily now here in many large supermarkets. You can add chunks of chocolate and pour the whole lot over a digestive biscuit base and set in the fridge. This is a cheap desert or you can use mascapone cheese and mix with citrus peel and juice to make a thick cheesecake topping.

[quote user="Hereford"]When I make "custard" for a trifle I make it as follows: It is very thick and sets well.  I was taught to do it at a "patisserie" course some years ago.

1/2 pint milk
1 oz sugar
2 level tablespoons cornflour
2 egg yolks

Put a little milk in a jug and dissolve sugar and cornflour
Put remainder of the milk in a pan and heat to scalding point
Pour hot milk into jug, stir quickly, put back into pan and add egg yolks. Whisk as you do it. 
Custard will thicken almost immediately, take off heat.

I use this recipe too when I want a thick custard to whip with mascarpone for a tiramisu.

Just leave to cool with cling film on the surface to stop skin forming.

Mrs H.

[/quote]

Oh, Hereford, that sounds yummy!  Thank you very much.

I'm going to make some little tartlets and fill them with your crème.  Then I can loll about in front of the TV watching the tennis from Queens and eating tartlets...

Put a few strawberries on the top, SW17.

I made the creme this morning and it turned out well, but you MUST keep stirring like mad when it starts to thicken over the heat - it happens very suddenly, so take it off the heat at that point.