A Friend's cooking crisis - today!

Gardengirl

Just had an email and calls to all our phones (4!) from an English  friend who has promised Yorkshire pudding to a French friend for lunch today! She and I only have self-raising; I don't bake much here at all.

Am I right that T55 is going to be right, please? She's just about to dash to Carrefour City for some.

Even on bags of plain flour in France, it sometimes says it's for cakes and it is as everyone I knew always used it and a sachet of baking powder for their cakes.

Your friend is right you don't use SR flour for yorkshire puddings, it will change the consistency of the mix. Still everyone likes them differently and in yorkshire every household has it's own recipe.

So 45 or 55 are fine.

If it makes anyone feel any better I have never had any success with yorkshire puddings in any country whatever flour I have used.

Have now given up - on the rare occasions that I cook a roast dinner I buy a little packet of infallible readymix for around 15p.

My theory is that at a certain age one should just not bother persevering with things that one is just not very good at!!