Pancakes not crepes

idun

I make several types of pancakes and crepes, but the recipe I never see anywhere is for what I call english pancakes. They are completely different to any other pancake I make.

The mixture is about the same thickish cream, that coats the back of a spoon nicely and is as I use for yorkshire puddings. In the frying pan there is a good layer of very hot oil, nearly smoking before the mix goes in. And a lot of mixture goes into that hot pan, a good ladle and a bit. They rise as they fry and I end up with something thick and light and fluffy and calorific, lovely with lemon or orange and sugar.

Impossible to toss because of the fat, and yet everyone seems to like these when I make them, which I admit isn't very often as usually I do make crepes.

Is this just my family that taught me to make these, or are they pretty common, I really have no idea at all.

Mrs Sunday's recipe for pancakes:

Usual Yorkshire pudding batter

Small knob of butter in the pan (just enought to coat the base)

Pour in sufficient batter just to cover the base of the pan (swirl it around). Thin is good.

When one side is done, toss.

Pick up pancake off the floor (oops, sorry, that's for when I try doing them)

When the remaining side is done, serve up onto a plate, sprinkle with sugar and lots of lemon juice then roll then into a tube.

Eat.

[quote user="Alex H"]Sounds like the "drop scones" my mum (Scottish) made [IMG]http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu210/alexh01/smile-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

You need one of these to cook them on though

[IMG]http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu210/alexh01/Griddlepan.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]My great aunt Mary (who was the cook at "the big hoose") used to drop hers straight onto the top of the Raeburn in the back kitchen (goodness knows why it was called the "back" kitchen as their terraced house in Newbiggin only had the one). Yum.

When I said thick, I meant it about 1/4". These are not heavy at all, they are fluffy light.

I make drop scones and american pancakes and breton crepes and crepes, but these I have never seen anyone else make, hence me wondering.

I don't make anything I can either buy or get somebody else to make so I can't help you, Idun.

Newbiggin was my home from home from the time I was born until my last great aunt died 20 years ago.  Mr C and I spent our honeymoon there and intend to go back for our 40th.  We probably saw your caravan, Sunday (it may even be in a family photo somewhere but sadly my mother has all those.)  I used to watch the seacoalers and their ponies raiding the beach and my Da learned to play golf there (when he wasn't playing dominos in The Ship.)

Ah the sea coal. Now when I was a kid and it was collected, we were told that it was natural and nothing to do with all the pits along the coast. And then the mines closed and the sea coal obviously decided to boude as it has not really been seen since.

We heated with sea coal for most of my young life.

We were too young for The Ship so we had to make do with the crappy little amusement arcade. Three darts in a playing card.....[:)]

Years later, we bought an old static caravan on a site situated at the unused end of the runway at the old Boulmer airfield further up the coast.  The RAF air sea rescue were based at the other end of the runway and when the Sea Kings took off for their training flight, they would fly over the caravan site with the winchman hanging out the door waving at the kids playing below.