Tried and tested recipe for apple cake

mint

I just make a victoria sponge and put it in the tin or in small paper cases. Then I use eating apples. I core and peel them and slice them, not too thick not too fine, about 10mm, maybe a tadge more. Then I place them on the cake. Or put them one on either side of the little cakes. Then bake as I would any victoria sponge. We eat them hot or cold and always with a sprinkling of icing sugar. And they freeze well.

I have more complicated recipes than this and this looks like one of the german apples cakes, but this is really easy and really good.

I belong to a forum called The fresh Loaf and there was a good thread on applecake recipes.

I can't do links from my 'puter but here it is, just google it:

www.thefreshloaf.com/node/26041/aunt039lillians-apple-cake

There's a recipe from me (or from my old friend) and several others

Thanks, folks.  Think I'll make Frederick's cake tomorrow.  Will add cinnamon as well as the nutmeg as I love sweet spices.

Pat, I'm not into recipes using "cup" measures as I am never sure how big the cup should be?  But the cake sounds very nice as I like to use oil instead of butter for a different and lighter taste sometimes.

Eric, I fancy cake and only cake will do, so not tart and nothing with pastry this time.

BTW, I have made some wicked muffins with apples, sultanas and plenty of cinnamon but hey sometimes you just fancy cake don't you?

Frederick, do you put butter on it?

I didn't read the bumpf just the recipe and thought scone dough, and I love scones. Then I read the bumpf and that is what it said. I can see me having this with butter smothered on it. Or thick creamy custard if served hot.

I will try it.

Mine is out of the oven. Looks like a big scone to me. It rose, it took 25 minutes to bake and I'll be very upset if that bloody gas cooker has left me with yet another soggy bottom.

Truthfully, I'll be cutting a biggish  slice, halving it and putting butter in it.

Turned it and the bottom had to go under the grill, bloody Cannon gas cooker. Found it too scone like to not have butter on it and then a little too sweet as a scone for me. I will make it again with less sugar and call it an apple scone instead of Dorset Apple Cake and my friend from Dorset will probably say, 'this is a bit like a dorset apple cake'[Www]

The one that I make is more of a pudding than a cake - perhaps it depends on the type of apple you use, how much water in it. Here I always use canada apples for cooking, but this recipe is ok with braeburn or cox's

8 oz SR flour

6 oz sugar

4 fl. oz oil

2 large eggs.

cinamon

Make a batter with these ingredients and stir in 4 apples peeled and thinly sliced.

Bake about 50 mins.

Here's another one that I've been using for years,( usually it has to be said with Bramley's), I generally make it as aloaf rather than a cake.

Apple and Cinnamon Cake

10 oz self raising flour

1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon

½ teaspoon salt

8oz Demerara sugar

2oz raisins (optional)

4oz melted butter

2 large eggs beaten

6 fl oz milk

8oz apples, peeled and chopped

Sift flour, cinnamon and salt into a bowl, stir in sugar (and raisins).

Mix melted butter, eggs and milk. Beat until smooth and fold in the apples/.

Turn into a lined and greased tin, 8inch round or loaf tin, bake for 1-1.15mins until cake springs back when lightly pressed.

Enjoy!

I saw a cake mix in Lidl a while ago, which was so different I had to buy it!

It was like a quite heavy chocolate sponge cake with chocolate chips in it. The instructions said to peel and slice 4 apples and press them edge on into the raw mix before cooking. After cooling there was a cinnamon flavoured icing to pour over, then toasted flaked almonds to put on top. It was very nice and very unusual.

After all that, I didn't get to make the cake because I had to go out roaming the fields (no, not for apples) but for the neighbour's cat.

It was bloomin' hot too and after an hour or so we came back, and there it was sleeping on its own cushion in the house!

So, then I had to get on with lunch etc.

Probably can't do it tomorrow either as we are off to look at that sideboard from leboncoin that I posted about on another thread.

Oops, all my life seems to be documented here on the Forum![:-))]

Pommier, it's a pity I didn't see your post before I went off to Lidl this aftenoon.

BUT, I did buy some crunchy peanut butter.....so if anyone has a nice cake or cookie or muffin recipe using peanut butter, I'd like to try it![:D]

Id, I don't doubt that it's a nice, quick, easy recipe but, you know I have an issue with my oven, just like you have with yours![:(]

Damned thing will take half an hour to heat up and then the cake will probably need "finishing off" in some way like yours did....ggggrrrrr!

OK, Frederick's cake made and tasted and very tasty it was too.

More pudding than cake but I'd certainly make it again and serve cold with icecream in the summer.

Will now test nomoss's cake and then PatF's.

Will also email a dear friend in Cirencester and ask her for her recipe.  She trained as a cordon bleue cook and she used to make a stunning apple cake with bands of icing sugar for decoration. 

• 2 weeks later...

Re the Dorset Apple Cake, which I found very scone like, only too sweet for a scone.

I made one yesterday and over halved the sugar, so only 50g of sugar and what a lovely scone it made. Had it with butter and guests had it with butter or creme fraiche. Very nice indeed. So with less sugar, I'll happily call it a Dorset Apple Scone from now on to differentiate between the two.

Easy to make and only half an hour to bake. Highly recommended for scone lovers.