Vegetarian croque monsieur

Derek M

Hi

We have a couple of vegetarians in our group this coming summer staying with us in the Languedoc area. Given the widespread availability of croque monsieur as a snack we were wondering if there is a vegetarian equivalent? Or, if not, would cafes be generally prepared to make one without the ham or would this be seen as a bit odd? 

I think a lot of the croque monsieurs that are served come from a chiller cabinet and are ready prepared so it might be difficult for the café owners to make one from scratch. Yesterday at Fr. motorway services I saw a stack of croque monsieurs ready prepared and semi cooked, all that was required was a few seconds in the microwave.[:(]

It isn't 'quite' a simple cheese toasty with it's bechamel or creme fraiche, personally I prefer bechamel.

We have a friend who doesn't like meat and we have ordered her one without ham.  I never worry about this. In France, choice for those that won't eat meat is often limited and it isn't my fault it is like that.

[quote user="idun"]

It isn't 'quite' a simple cheese toasty with it's bechamel or creme fraiche, personally I prefer bechamel.

We have a friend who doesn't like meat and we have ordered her one without ham.  I never worry about this. In France, choice for those that won't eat meat is often limited and it isn't my fault it is like that.

[/quote]

Thanks Idun, that helps... sans jambon it is then! And yes, it's definitely the bechamel for me too!

The trouble is ofcourse, my friend simply does not like meat, taste and texture, not on other grounds. So if they just take it out of preprepared, and there is a residual anything she isn't really bothered. Some people will be bothered.

Pizza Margherita? no meat and very tasty.