Yorkshire pudding

Frecossais

Thanks to Aunt Bessie, I have completely lost my touch with making these. Now in France have already messed up two, (they didn't cook in the middle.) Has anyone got any good tips. I don't have a tray like a muffin tray. Would that be a good idea?

Any hints or good experiences would be appreciated.

I prefer little Yorkshires as I don't like them solid in the centre and I found it's easier to get light airy ones in a patty tin or similar. Lard is the best fat to use, and get it really hot before pouring in the batter.

If you 'do' all the  grandes surfaces you should find a bun tin.

The most important is having your oven hot. I know that people think the oil has 'got' to be hot, but it actually doesn't. I was very surprised a few years ago to see a friend put a little cold oil in each hole in the bun tin and then the cold yorkshire pud mix just under half way up. In they went and were superb.

I tried it and it works. OR you can have that oil smoking too.

A basic recipe I read about a couple or three years ago is what I suggest to anyone who mentions having problems.

For say a twelve hole bun tin. Take two eggs, crack  them into a cup. See how far up the cup they come, then pour into a mixing bowl. Put as much plain flour in the cup as there was egg. Tip onto the egg. Then do the same again with milk. Add a good pinch of salt and beat. Just before you make the puds, add a tablespoon of water and beat again.

210° for about 20 minutes.

I checked this recipe with mine and it is the same.

Idun's recipe sounds about right. For me the 'secret" is making the batter at least 4 hours before you cook it. This allows the gluten in the flour to develop and strengthen and so it holds up once it expands. Sometimes I'm glad I did O level cookery 40 odd years ago after being thrown out of the Latin set!

Recipes sounds about right but don't forget to put the fat (goose fat is best I think) in the tins and get them smoking hot BEFORE putting the mixture in, then resist the temptation to open the oven door early.

If you liked Aunt Bessies [+o(] then done this way, with this recipe, you are in for a real treat [:D]

I wondered if putting oil instead of lard was part of my problem when I made them, but maybe not.

Thank you all so mch for your replies. I will now save this page to peruse at my leisure, (internet rationed to weekly trip to MacDo's)