French Pizzas

idun

I make pizza, but there were times when we lived in France, just a few times a year, when we would go out and have pizza. We knew a wonderful Pizzaiolo and his pizzas were worth the quite long drive.

Maybe it was the region we lived in, so close to the italian border and so many italian connections that meant that we were spoiled for this simple dish. I really do not know. And when holidaying anywhere else in France, we never ate pizza.

Since we have moved back to England, I have not found anywhere locally that makes pizzas that are a patch on any we have had in France or Italy. And eventually I just felt like a really excellent pizza and I went on a bit of a mission to find a decent pizza in the NE of England, pizzas that are on a par with France (and Italy). I called all my local italian restaurants and they recommended Adriano's in Gosforth, Newcastle. All I can say is that it was splendid. The pizzas were supberb and the rest of the food look wonderful. Service great, lovely restaurant, plenty of italians eating and a few of the waiters were italian too.

I really was missing my french pizzas or were they always italian pizzas in France?........ and now I have yet again quite a long drive, but I have found somewhere wonderful.

ps Someone told me to try Pizza Express and I did, but they do not serve anything like the sort of pizza I was looking for.

What is the difference, well probably little as certainly the Savoie used to be run by the Ducs of Turin. And I know so many people in my old region of France that are italian, or italian names and are second generation french.

Hospitality, well that is quite something else and we 'know' where to go to have a very pleasant evening. Last time in France I only ate half my pizza and asked for a box to take the rest home. The pizzaiolo came over..... a friend....... and put his arm around me and asked what was wrong with it as I hadn't eaten it all. It was just too much for me to eat in one sitting and it certainly spilled over the big pizza plate. He said I should have simply asked him to make a smaller one. The rest was lovely for lunch the next day!

• 2 months later...