Can you roast swede?

mint

Yes, I know it sounds like a daft question and, for the wags amongst you, I do mean the vegetable and not a native of Sweden.

I believe that most root vegetables can be roasted.

If it's OK to roast it, will it take more or less time than potatoes?  Just so that I know whether to cut it the same size or smaller or larger?

Incidentally, when I bought it, I realised I didn't know the French word for it[:$]  Had to ask the vegetable stacker because I needed to know what it was so that I could weigh it.  Only having my varifocals, I couldn't even see the picture on the scales...duh!

He said it was called a navet betarave; thought I'd put that in for the learners![:)]

Mint - don't like to disagree with your veg. stacker, but the french word for swede is  - rutabaga. It was featured in the Rustica recipe section at the end of October.

It should be nice roasted,  cut like potatoes. Might be an idea to parboil it first. I often do roast veg., I've roasted ordinary little turnips but not swede. I roasted some beetroot last week and it was good.

One of the recipes in the Rustica was for little pancakes (paillassons - also means doormats!)  made with grated swede, potatoes and onions, mixed with eggs flour s&p, then fried in spoonfuls. Serve stacked with smoked salmon and creme fraiche betwen the layers.

I used to put 'navet longue' in my mixed veg soups, carrot shaped but oversized white and smooth with white flesh. I think in England it would be a long turnip.

Rutabaga, well, swede, would have orange flesh and I would cube it to roast it. As the cubes would be smaller than the potatoes, then they should take the same time. And if you are worried, boil it for a few minutes to start the cooking process off.

I still call rutabaga 'turnip' and I suppose the scots do too, as they are the 'neeps' that go with haggis. I also like it mashed into mashed potato.

Thank you everybody for your input.

I've still got my swede, having run out of time to do it for lunch today.

But I am really looking forward to trying roast swede.  I think I'd be sure to parboil it first, knowing how rubbish my oven is.

Our local 'Grand Frais' had a promo last week on 'légumes ancienne', swede parsnips etc, they were FRESH, such a change from the rubbish normally served up by the rest of the supermarkets in this area .

We cut them in slices, part nuked them in the microwave, swedes for the longest, with some carrots and a coarsely chopped onion and a few brussel sprouts, then roasted them in some goose fat at 230 dec C     MMMMMM   was a fabulous meal in itself but in the past we have also crumbled a bit of Roquefort over therm when they are out of the oven and one the plate.

Also good with a roast anything meat wise.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]rutabaga - I think this was part of the staple wartime diet in France.
[/quote]

Yes, and it is still stable diet at MiL every Sunday lunch. I love it actually ..... boiled, mashed, add butter and pepper and in the oven for a few minutes.

I love both you suggestions, Racerbear and Eric.

After the swede (thank you for the right French name, I looked at the label and it says navet rutabaga), I actually bought some navets ronds.

They looked so fresh and white when I peeled them (didn't expect such a pure white colour) and I roasted them and they were superb.  I didn't think they'd taste so sweet.  After all, we always thought turnips were animal feed, didn't we?

But has anyone had topinambour?  There was an elderly Frenchman next to me when I was examining these things and he volunteered that they didn't taste very good.

Just judging by the price alone, they were quite expensive compared to the various other root vegetables on display.

Going back to turnips, the small white ones - I had an old book of wartime recipes. It disappeared in one of our many moves.

There was a recipe for turnips stewed in stock mixed with black treacle [I] with the obligatory onions. I remember it was very tasty.

Another recipe was for haricots soaked and stewed in the same way.

As for topinambour - tried it once and didn't like it.

Laughing here as the son of a Scottish greengrocer...yep 'turnips' are the big rough things and 'new turnips' are the little white fellas in my house :-)

For an alternative take on mashed swede/turnip cook it with a couple of carrots and once mashed take it back to the stove and cook it still in the pan and turning it over gently to expel moisture...add butter and keep it on the heat till it sizzles and is 'catching' the bottom of the pan...add black pepper and allow to stand...serve with a healthy splash of Worcestershire sauce.

I must admit that, whilst the roast turnips were very sweet and tasty, boiled ones (which I cooked today) were more than disappointing.

They have a VERY strong smell which made me think of the pervasive smell of boiled cabbage except this smell was er, shall we say, rather more pronounced?

Although I put them in the same serving bowl as the boiled potatoes, I noticed that OH was only picking out the potatoes though the dog didn't seem to mind which vegetable it was[:)]

Tomorrow, I think I'll put some chopped onions, mustard and strong grated cheese with them and bake them in a pastry case.  But, I don't think I'd boil them again.

I must admit that, whilst the roast turnips were very sweet and tasty, boiled ones (which I cooked today) were more than disappointing.

They have a VERY strong smell which made me think of the pervasive smell of boiled cabbage except this smell was er, shall we say, rather more pronounced?

Although I put them in the same serving bowl as the boiled potatoes, I noticed that OH was only picking out the potatoes though the dog didn't seem to mind which vegetable it was[:)]

Tomorrow, I think I'll put some chopped onions, mustard and strong grated cheese with them and bake them in a pastry case.  But, I don't think I'd boil them again.

Another veg. which is very good roasted is fennel. Just add a little bit, sliced to your roast swede. Supermarkets sell it. When raw it has a strong aniseed smell, but loses some of that in cooking.

I have a craze for it at the moment, we've grown it for the last 2 years and as well as being tasty  the plant is very pretty to look at.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fennel+plant&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cRxuVMOGKpLUarzMgfAN&ved=0CJgBEIke&biw=1525&bih=670&dpr=0.9

Ooh, Pat, I'm definitely going to roast fennel.  OH doesn't like the taste of aniseed and I tend not to buy fennel.

If I felt like anything aniseed, I have a large pastis![:D]

Todays's potato, onion, turnip and cheese pie was very tasty.

Pat, do have a go with the mascarpone pastry.  It's completely forgiving.  I left a biggish piece in the fridge from the other day and I just got it out and, in no time, I was making a hole in the pie top, brushing it with milk (no eggs until I get my weekly supply tonight from the gym lady) and bunging it in the oven.

Roast potatoes ready, pie ready, carrots, cabbage and that's the kind of plain foods I like to eat.