Fromage

idun

There is an article on the side of this board about putting out a cheese board.

So my question, would you really put out emmental on a cheese board for guests??

I use emmental a lot in my cooking, but of the small but usually 'good' selection I put out for those who just love their fromage, (with a grand cru, bien sur), I just would not. I would put out a good comté extra or a beaufort along with the rest of the selection.

I usually only put out four maximum and in France, at my table there was always the option of fromage blanc a la creme, or poivré. Which reminds me, must get Chancers fromage blanc recipe again.

Still there are always exceptions, and mine would be if there were children at my table, and if they were, I would put out not only emmental, but have been known to put some vache qui rit too along with the usual selection for the adults.

So emmental or not?

No, no emmental!

Must tell you, someone going back to the UK for Christmas gave me a piece of cheddar she had in her fridge so as not to waste it.

Well....I'd completely forgotten what a piece of mature cheddar tasted like.  It was delicious, yummy, taste-bud tickling and OH and I fell to and scoffed half of it at once, leaving the other half for breakfast.

I don't know if anybody else does this but I have a small piece of a cantal entre deux everyday for breakfast.  If I didn't have it, I couldn't last the morning till lunch-time!

I like cantal, now maybe my taste buds were leading me along the garden path, but it used to remind me of caerphilly. Must do a taste test.

My current péché mignon is wensleydale with ginger. When I first saw it, thought beurk, but my taste buds just adore it. It is odd. French friends have had it and after the intially shock, always took more and more from the platter.

ps isn't that a lovely expression 'péché mignon'[:D]

Nice expression indeed, id, and somehow doesn't sound so bad as guilty pleasure, does it?

All the French I know seem to love camembert but I only like a really good piece when it's nice and just the right degree of ripeness.

Oh, id, you and your ruddy cheeses!  Now you have made me think of stilton and, my favourite blue cheese of all time, shropshire blue.

Don't care that much for caerphilly or wensleydale but, like you have implied, it's best with something sweet and fruity.  I believe I have a recipe for a wensleydale and pear tart, an upside down one like a tarte tatin but I haven't made it in years.

I am not keen on many cheeses, unlike husband and eldest son who adore most cheeses.

And inspite of not liking them, I am very very good a chosing cheeses, especially a camembert, I go through all the boxes, if I need one for that week even that day, I usually manage to find one, but I am good at buying in advance and it being just right for my guests. That and home made wholemeal bread usually goes down a treat, for those that like. [Www]

I have occasionally put out Emmental as part of the cheese board, but only a good quality Swiss one, and never pre-packaged French Emmental - which is fine for cooking.

However I would be much more likely to buy a Tete de Moine - and yes I do have the cheese plane to scrape of the florettes of cheese.

At an Anglo French fair in Dover I found the best cheddar came from just down the road from UK home in Wrotham. took a visit to the farm and that is one of my little pleasures. For French cheese it has to be Ossaur Iraty but a bacon and brie bagette is a great treat. Not sure I understand the complex palate of those who seek Camembert that has the same aroma as used cat litter! 

[quote user="mint"][quote user="Al Rogers"]I always suspected something was missing from my life and now I know what it is - a cheese plane. Off to get one now.[/quote]

I've got one; it's great for doing those dinky parmesan curls to put on top of dishes.

[/quote]

There will be dinky parmesan curls aplenty on my pasta tonight. A whole new world is opening up. Graters are obviously for wimps.

PS Apologies for the "block quote" nonsense. You must have a magical touch, Mint.

[quote user="Al Rogers"]

There will be dinky parmesan curls aplenty on my pasta tonight. A whole new world is opening up. Graters are obviously for wimps.

PS Apologies for the "block quote" nonsense. You must have a magical touch, Mint.[/quote]

You'd think that with a name like mine, I'd have nothing less than the Midas touch, wouldn't you?

Alas, it doesn't seem to work out quite like that[:D]

I used to love cheese (but never put a cheeseboard out for guests) but hardly eat any now. I was told it's bad for cholesterol, don't know if that's true. Home-made pizzas - Mmm.

Having said that, I made a cheese and onion flan today, using grated emmenthal.

Gruyère is similar, I think.

[quote user="Patf"]but hardly eat any now. I was told it's bad for cholesterol, don't know if that's true.

[/quote]

Not particularly no, what is bad is that people giving out the advice do not know the difference between fat and cholesterol so any food high in fat must be high in cholesterol only that isn't true.

Many studies have been made and during the fat reduction phase of the nations education there was no drop in cholesterol and as most of the excess cholesterol in your body is made by your body what you consume doesn't really alter it.  It's been discussed many times on here.

I'm an equal opportunities cheese eating surrender monkey.

A nice chèvre of some description, a Munster, for it is the cheese of my former region (more or less), a nice crumbly Lancashire (also the cheese of my former region, and bloomin' hard to find a good one nowadays), a strong Cheddar... And a spot of that Wensleydale with bits in that Idun likes.

Guests rarely see the cheeseboard, as if I buy cheese then Mr Betty will have eaten it before they even arrive. Not least because he hats it when they carve his cheddar into a dodecahedron shape.....