French milk

chessie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calm down big fonts, it is just a laugh.

We could talk about Brexit or bringing up chickens if you like. I hate my neighbours in France s a good one...they tend to be British as well....which makes it more fun.

What is wrong with a bit of humour on a French forum ? Or do we all have to be dead serious and British like. lol

Well I've certainly found out what that strange milk was that I bought and poured into my cup of tea - so many thanks for all that info.   Very interesting.

And the info about the French thick cream similar to the UK's wonderful double-cream - must look out for that.

I was just hoping for some more funnies;  of people being willing to try a French food item and sometimes getting it wrong.

I thought we might have some laughs - we need them at the moment;  my tax forms are sitting on the table - and I just keep sighing every time I walk past them.... anything to distract me.

Please - isn't anyone else prepared to laugh at themselves.

I can remember buying what I thought were spring onions with red-tinged stems - though they did seem to have a rather strong smell.   Chopped them up to make sandwiches - and phew - hot isn't the word.   Turned out they were stems of the garlic bulb........ steered clear of them after that.

Chessie   (Love these emitcons - only recently worked out how to do this...!!)

GardenGirl - oh I am so, so sorry - I really do apologise;  having one of my 'stupid' days......

Had obviously skipped past the post that seemed to 'not quite understand' and just wanted to knock anything British...!!

Many 'umble apologies'.

Chessie

Hmmm......... mascapone and creme epaisse are just that........ exactly as described, which is not the same as whipped double cream or even chantilly, the consistency is not the same and I would argue that the taste is different too.

How do I know, because I do all three and know exactly what I want for which dish.

My biggest problem in the UK is making sure that I make up a weaker cream for my gratin dauphinois, as double cream alone is too heavy.

Not the same Idun but as double cream is not available we have to do the best we can, no French creams come anywhere near the fat content needed to make whipped double cream, Mascarpone does but has too much fat, they all have different tastes and again I look on that as a discovery, no point hankering about what you used to have when in a foreign country, my only caveat to the taste part is that whipped cream made with fixe chantilly may hold its shape but it is not the texture of proper whipped  cream and the taste, well you cannot taste the base cream, just cardboard.

The only time I need double cream and have to adapt is for my signature cheesecake, I no longer use digestive biscuits although they are available i use Speculoos and I use St Moret for the Philadelphia cheese.

This together with all other desserts is a dish that I can no longer eat myself but I get pleasure making it for others.

Cream in France is what it is, and I just got on with it, played with it and found ways to work with it.

But one thing is for sure, it is just right for a gratin dauphinois. [:D]

If I needed a biscuit base, I used to use Lu Prince chocolate digestive biscuits, cannot remember exactly what they are called, but on the packet they look like digestives and very nice they are too, to eat or use as a base. They are chocolate covered, not a sandwich biscuit.

I LOVE speculoos..... strangely I am not keen on cinnamon, but I really do love them with a strong expresso.[:)]

I don't often buy cream, because I have to watch my cholesterol level. Not sure it makes much difference mind. I buy Fleurette.

My memories of real cream are of staying with my Auntie Pat who was married to a farmer in the Scottish Borders. She had a milk separating machine, and it produced thick rich cream and buttermilk. She would make butter with some of the cream and the rest was for desserts or mayonnaise. The buttermilk went to the pigs.

With this thread fresh in my mind whilst I was in Inter this afternoon, I bought some Elle et Vire crème épaisse de Normandie.

Might see if it will whip.  Only a small amount as I don't much like whipped cream.  But I have a French friend with me tomorrow to talk about a joint project so I shall make some scones and see if the cream is whippable.

Just looked at your tourte recipe albf,......tinned mushrooms????what is that about. Why would a french recipe even make such a basically disgusting suggestion.... because knocking 'english' food is one thing, but this illustrates to me why so much french cooking is not what it is cracked up to be.