Quenelles

idun

As Loiseau brought up crozets, she reminded me of something we used to really enjoy in France and that was quenelles.

I liked them all, but was particularly partial to the ones with fishy things in them.

I ignored the cooking instructions and would put them in simmering italian tomato sauce and keep on simmering until they souffled. The instructions cooked them, but that extra time was worth it.

Prinkled cheese over them on the plate.

I have tried to make them at home, but have yet to find a good recipe. I have tried lots of different recipes, and one day will find one that just fits the bill.

Ah dear! I can only suppose that they were not done right then.

The sauce I make is beautifully onctueux, the quenelles are light and fluffy served with either parmesan or comte grated and gently melting on top. Emmantael would do though, IF the shopping hadn't gone quite to plan[:-))]

I've looked up quenelles, and realise now they're more like gefilte fish . Which I've made in the past, but a bit fiddly as the ingredients need to be minced or ground.  Formed into balls then they can be poached, fried or baked.
Now we can buy the prepared mixture, either white fish or salmon, ready for cooking.

The baked ones are nice cooked in a sauce of tomatoes, peppers and shallots. Also don't stink the house out like the other 2.

Staying in Lyon last year, I was recommended to order a "quenelle lyonnaise". Never having been hugely enthusiastic about quenelles, I was a bit reluctant. But, I have to say, it was a revelation. It was a single, giant quenelle in a delicious sauce.

Can thoroughly recommend if you find yourself in Lyon.