A Taste of my Life - Raymond Blanc

Russethouse

Thanks to Richard T for his recommendation for this book :

Instead I picked up a new book by Raymond Blanc called "A Taste of My Life" which is a mix of reminiscences of his early life in the Franche-Comté region, his life as a French person in England, the ups and downs of his business ventures and a lot of really good stuff about food - especially French food. Sometimes Blanc comes across as a little smug but in the next sentence he can be self-deprecating but mostly he comes across as a gentleman (and quite unlike most celebrity chefs). One minute he's talking about his childhood, the next about how to make a perfect soufflé or the British eating habits (as viewed by a Frenchman) in the 1970s. This is an excellent book, well written, well paced and would appeal to francophiles and foodies alike.

I bought three copies of this book for various people and also put it on my own Christmas list - it's a great read, his passion for food and the explanations of why somethings work and some things just don't are excellent.

Thoroughly recommended [:)]

I bought this for my husband for Xmas and have just finished reading it myself.

I thought it was a very good read, his passion definitely comes across and the stories behind the recipes were really interesting. I loved the story about the Queen Mother singing the Marseillaise. I did skip some of the more intense food bits - several pages on making souffles - it's the OH who does the cooking stuff!  It did make me hungry every time I read a chapter though.......not good for the post-Xmas diet!

Lou