I have a dream......

Andymr

I have never owned a bike i'm afraid, I was a Mod in the 60's (Lambretta SX200) more chrome than a Romany's caravan[:)]

However for some years now I have had a yearning for a new toy....

A Honda Goldwing... comments please.

BTW i'm not into laying over tank, as Gary will testify "Petite I aint"[:D]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you got any experience of any motorcycles other than a scooter? Seems to me that's quite key.

Also, what do you want to do with the bike?

Personally speaking, from the point of view of someone who does a lot of long distance touring, it wouldn't be for me, but you may know what you want it for.

I've ridden trail bikes for fun, but see myself and OH cruising around the Dordogne in comfort and only in the summer.

Probably 200km at most. Sorry if I offend you real "bikers but I see open face helmet, sunglasses, no hurry, as chris h would say "Just Chillin".

Similar to what we do in the convertible really, enjoying the countryside, and as Chuck Berry would say "No particular place to go"

Hi Andy,

Trail bikes are ok for a bit of fun but not comfortable on the road and useless for a passenger.

I personally don't think a Goldwing is a good choice for a first bike, they are a good touring bike but very heavy.

Maybe a Moto Guzzi, Triumph Tiger, Honda Varadero, BMW or something similar.

Harleys are another choice but not mine. They are good for poodling around, so would suit your criteria, but you would have to grow a pony-tail and get a few tattoos.....................[:D]only joking

My advice, go into the dealers and sit on a few, buy second hand as with your current lack of experience, you will probably drop it a couple of times and, most important of all, ride initially on quiet back roads with someone experienced and get some refresher training..

Then, when you've done all that nip into your local Triumph dealers and buy a Sprint ST................[Www]................[:)]

I'm not sure what you mean by real bikers.

We all just have different things we do with our bikes (and wear different things). Some commute. Some go out at weekends. Some polish. Some do all or any of the above. No one's offended I don't think.

Open face and sunglasses? Ah. Happy days in the sun. I remember that.

Hi Andy, by your first statement I guess you would be around my age!!!I was a mod but discovered bikes and changed my style to be a rocker.Cant tell you how many bikes I have had over the years, never been without one probably runs into 3 figures.

In 1989 I decided to buy a Gold Wing, my hobby is Moto GP and I tired of strapping all the luggage on and always wondering if it was going to be there when I got back to the bike.I have never looked back.

I am on my 4th now a black 1800 and absolutely love it. Will be out with Gary tomorrow and it sounds like you know him personally, I currently dont have a partner so the back seat is empty, if sometime you would like to take a trip and see what you think you are more than welcome.

Winging is a bit like Harley ownership and can be a way of life, dont take any notice of what people say who have never ridden one, Gary will tell you I aint a slow old fogey!! considering its over 400kgs I can make it boogey.Most of all I have made many lasting friendships, so if you like it do it,see you soon.

Andy, I've only ever ridden the older Wings (before fairings0 but was always impressed with how easy they are to ride with a good riding position and low centre of gravity they are suprisingly easy to throw around. I personally prefer BMWs preferably without to much bodywork as I like to leave all the luggage at home unless I actually need it. I think the Honda Deauville is a smaller version of the wing which maybe a bit easier to start with.

Sadly I am carrying a little too much weight to "get it up that far!!" but yes its quite easy to get the front wheel up if you want,my 1800 is quicker 0-60 than a Porsche Carrera, much to the surprise of the uninformed of course 1832 cc is a fair old lump.

Last year I left a mate who lives in Alicante at 08.30 on a Saturday morning and was at home in the charente at 20.30 WITHOUT using any toll roads and stopping for a bite to eat.705 miles and felt fine the next day and could have done it again,that to me is what the bike is all about. I will be going down to Alicante again very soon and to ride both mountain ranges with my favourite music playing is for me the best.

I aint much into extra lights but when I bought this black wing and was talking to some friends in the states about what a b--ch it was to keep clean they all said cover the paint with chrome and as Gary will tell you, I am trying this route!! happy riding.

Hi Andy, I am based in Bayers just 3kms. off the N10 between Ruffec and Angouleme, with regard to your budget you could get a very nice 1500, a late model, they were made till around the turn of the century, I had two and loved them OR you are just at the bottom of the 1800 market.

1500 and 1800 are totally different, the 18 was meant to attract a slightly different customer to the traditional Winger and is lighter, faster and handles totally differently.If you are serious come and have a beer some time , we can discuss and I wont bore the pants off everyone on here.

regarding licensing I am sure Gary or one of the other readers can tell you more than me.

Just one last point, I dont know if you knew this but there is a bhp limit in France, so I keep my Wing registered in the Uk, a 1500 is just within the limit. Hope this helps, Live the dream!! 

Did you recognise the bike Triumph Rocket lll, have a look at one

"Rocket III - the largest capacity production motorcycle in the world.
But a bike so balanced it can be ridden with the lightest of touches.  You already know the numbers: a 2294cc triple engine; torque, 147lb-ft at 2,500 rpm; giant, 240 section rear.  What you don’t know is how it feels to push a bike like this through a few twisties.  It’s a revelation. A 2.3 litres bike that corners, that doesn’t just go in a straight line. But then, this is a bike built to ride not just to sit on - an impeccable cruiser with an easy handling and a motor so torquey, you’re always in the right gear.  And clearly, should you require it, performance is not an issue."

extract from Triumph Ad.

Have you checked out a Valkyrie as they are called in the States or rather more boringly an F6C. 100 ftlb of torque and 100 bhp.

Same engine as the Wing but with carbs, quick for a cruiser and with a low seat height. Remarkable handling unburstable engine. Honda build quality.

I am selling mine as I want even more torque - so am buying a Rocket III.

Has a new Km speedo and a new headlight. (Not that it needed one.) Currently on UK reg.

Only 17,000 miles yours for £6,000.

Available near Perigueux.

[quote user="Bob T"]Sound interesting Dog, but no use to me as a resident with UK plates on it, I understand that I would be illegal driving it on a UK plate.
[/quote]

Why would it be illegal? I think you are supposed to register vehicles in France after a certain period of time but, as far as I know, it is perfectly legal to ride a bike as long as you and it are insured. I've never had a problem insuring non-French registered vehicles in France.

Errr re "Groundhog Day" I am hoping I am ok on UK green card wth my UK registered bike even although I have a house in France?

Was thinking of buying a jallopy to keep over there but how does the French mot and tax equivalent work out and do I need to sit a French driving test once I am resident?

Mac, if you are still a UK resident then I believe there is no problem with your bike on UK plates and a green card. If you were a French resident with this as your main residence then you would need to register any vehicle here.

Your UK license id good for the whole of Europe and you don't need to take any test, but second hand cars are quite expensive here compared to the UK. There is no road tax here and CT (MOT) is every 2 years. There is no CT for bikes.