VFREddy

Bob T

Just thought that I would let you all know that VFREddy, one of the newer members of our forum, had a spill yesterday. Eddy lives near Sarlat, and at 69 is trying to catch up on all that he may have missed in the past. He is in hospital near Mont Dore (spelling?) with a broken collar bone and a couple of broken ribs.  I have not seen him yet but he is upset that his bike may be scratched or broken, and worst of all, Margart, his wife, is very angry with him.

Broken bones heal, but I know that Eddy will be looking forward to getting back on a bike and touring the country again.

Love the cartoon SD. In actual fact Eddie also ended up in a ditch, but with the bike on top of him, and had trouble getting out from under. His right shoulder was injured some years ago, now it's the left, so at least he'll have a matching pair. Hopefully we'll get down to see him soon when he transfes to Gourdon Hospital - closer to where he lives.

Jude

I don't know Eddie but reading about his accident and considering he is a neighbour in my neck of the woods in France, I just wanted to send him my best. It sounds a horrible painful accident and my thoughts are with him and I too wish him a speedy recovery.

Just to let you all know that Eddy has just phoned from home. He is out of hospital with 2 broken ribs, a broken collar bone and a broken shoulderblade. His VFR is a write off, and he says that at his age he will probably not get another bike. The reason for this is that he cannot remember what happened and if as he thinks, he may have blacked out, he could be a danger to other road users.

I guess it could happen to any of us eventually. Eddy is 70 next year and has had some heart problems. I really feel for him because he adored riding his bike and was determined to make every day count. He has often said how he has only a small number of years left whereby he knows he'll be able to ride, and he was determined to squeeze every ounce out of life while he was still able. Talking to him today, he sounded reconciled to his decision, but I'm sure it's not been an easy one. Being in the 'upper' years myself I guess I'll have to face the day too one day, (The hanging up of the wheels), but just as Eddy said today I'll have some fantastic memories. Aging is a real pain.[:(]

Jude

I've been off my bike  now for a year, and am missing it terribly, so I can sympatise with how hard Eddie's decision must be, but I have always looked for alrternatives. On another part of the forum, we've been discussing guitars, and how someone with finger strength problems missed playing, I suggested playing bottle neck or slide guitar. So, would Eddie consider a trike?? There are the ridiculous, VW engined things, and Goldwing trikes (might as well have a car!) and some superb conversions of standard bikes, like a Hayabusa with a very trick leanable rear end. It's just a thought.

Good point Steve. I agree about looking for alternatives and have done that in my life. I lived in B.C, Canada for 15 years and when I moved back to the UK I had to give up skiing and windsurfing (too costly there). So I took up scuba diving and was enthralled by all the underwater life, and loved diving the wrecks of the German fleet in Scapa flow. Eventually the cost of diving trips beat me but it was then I decided to take up biking and re-mortgaged my house to buy the Blackbird! Never looked back! Eddy is planning on a bit of cycling, and he also plays in a band, so I'm sure he'll fill the gap somehow, he's not easily beaten. I'll mention trikes to him.

Jude[:D]

Of course if anyone has a GoldWing trike on this forum, they are very nice!!!! Sorry in advance.

I met a guy in Rouen last year, British, who had taken his bike there from Sittingbourne. Had his left leg missing from just below the knee. He had replaced the gear lever with a sort of upright one that he could still operate, such was he determination.

Hi everybody

A very big thankyou for all the kind messages you have posted, regarding my little mishap. As you know, I am now back home, and recovering slowly but surely.

I want to tell you that the treatment at the hospital at Aurillac, was fabulous.

As you know, I have deceided to hang up the leathers now, but I don't regret one second of what happened. I've had a fabulous time on the bike, in this superb country, fron Le Mans to St Troprez, to the Pyrenees.

Anyone in the Sarlat area, drop me a line, and we can chew the fat.

Bonne Route

VFREddy

Glad to hear that you're back home and on the mend. I have an Eddy too and he's similar to you - but cars and skiing not bikes. Must be the name. I sympathise with your wife too. Hope you find something to take the place of your first - or second?- love. Plenty of years to go yet. Pat.

Hi Pat

Thanks for the message, and to hear you have an Eddy also. Must be something in the name though as my other love is skiing, as well as music, so I have plenty to keep me busy. Hopefully we will have a better year for skiing next winter, as this year it was awful. We only live two hours away from Mont Dore, in the Massif Central, so it was very frustrating. Fingers crossed.