running in a burgman 400

bigears

just started running in a burger, bike shop said go easy no more than 100 - 110 on autoroute and vary the throttle.  On reading the owners manual it says no more than 4000 revs for the first 800 km then its upto 6000 until 1500 km.  I've tried to drive at 4000 revs but its impossible, its so slow, from memory its around 60 km/hr,  I'm being overtaken by grannies on motobecanes and old guys on vintage tractors.  I breifly went on the autoroute to avoid limoges and felt very vunerable, wagons frightening me from behind.  .   I've strayed up towards 5000 revs which fells better, what do you learned lot think of this?  I've put the boat out to buy this scooter as a long term investment, we have plans to tour spain on it after the rodage period.  One other thing, only one front light is on when its started and for normal daytime riding, the other comes on with full beam,  there is no mention in manual about lights, my last scooter had both on all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i think this reflects the ages of the members, What doe,s the manual say about oil changes, for me that was always more important on a new engine, after bedding in the pistons, etc.

Nowever I think you did well getting a burgman from all the reports I read, not to much wrong.

michael 

Hi, can't see why they are suggesting using the autoroute until you can at least match the traffic speed...i.e 130kmh...If it revs to say 8000 to red  line, then 4000rpm for first 800km is fine, then you should be getting a first service, basically an oil and filter change, then increase the revs with every couple of hundred Km and by 1500km you should be able to rev it all you want. (I ran a Bandit 1200 in on a trackday last year and its still fine as above, regular oil changes, and with oil in Leclercs being so cheap, you could do it every few hundred Km to start with)

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same problem regarding running in a Burgman 400 at 4000RPM. Its about 60Km/h. Its is outright dangerous drivng at that speed, i've been overtaken by big trucks doing twice that speed. I also decided to go up to a max of 5000RPM, it helps a bit. The Sales person assured me its ok to do that, but it is in conflict with the owners manual and therefore might effect the warrenty. what does Suzuki say about it??

Running in an engine isn't he "crucial" thing it once was. Gone are the days of running in oil etc. In many respects, going on a long haul without varying the throttle will do more damage, and the worst thing you can do is let the engine labour. I had a Yamaha XJR1200, and running it in was hard, because it was just to fast at the revs "allowed". During running in your just basically polishing all the surfaces to match, so at first you have to be careful, but it doesn't take that long. Heat is the biggest enemy, high revs for short spurts isn't a problem. I used to raise the revs 500-1000 rpm for every 150 to 200 miles, and change the oil often during the first 6 months to a year (and fit a magnetic sump bung) to make sure ant "swarf" was removed.