UK driving licence valid in France for a 125cc?

Tonias

My other half has had a UK driving licence since 1984, but he's never taken his motorbike test. He's never traded in his UK licence for the French permis B whilst we've been in France as there is no requirement to do so.

He'd now like to buy a 125cc in France - we understand that he could ride this with a French permis B that's been held for 2 years or more.

Our question is - would his UK licence be valid for the 125cc in France? Any knowledge or resources you can direct us to would be gratefully received!

Thanks 

The French permis B licence automatically becomes valid for category A1 (up to 125cc) from the second anniversary of its issue.  It is not necessary to have the category physically added to the licence - the gendarmes know this...[;-)]

On that basis, your OH's category B English licence is good for a 125cc.

Same caveat as always - he needs to get some training before using the bike.....

[quote user="Tonias"]

Not according to the research I've done so far. 

My understanding is that if you have a French Permis B, then as long as you've held it for over 2 years, you can ride a bike up to 125cc without any training.

[/quote]

I think you'll find that SD's suggestion of training was simply to reduce the risk of dying.

can you simply ride a 125 on a british car licence, providing you've had licence for more than 2 years? we only live in france part time& dont intend to get a french licence. i possess a full bike licence but my oh doesn't & we've got the chance of a cheap scooter , can she ride it?

[quote user="mike151"]

we've got the chance of a cheap scooter , can she ride it?
[/quote]

Leagally yes but I cannot speak for her ability.  I'm sure it's better than my OH that once had a little 50cc job for getting about on.  Well she did get about for 20 minutes then slammed it into the front of a car (her fault, no question).  No serious injury to her fortunately but bike totaled and never got on one again,  surprisingly large amount of damage to the other car too.  I don't blame her for not riding again, in fact it was more than 15 years before she started driving a car!

I sent an email to the Prefecture at Nimes asking the question, never expecting someone to reply but .......I received a reply as follows, which I understand as being good news. Yes, you can use your UK driving licence to ride a 125cc in France provided you have had it for more than 2 years.

"La catégorie B du permis de conduire délivrée avant le 1er janvier 2007 autorise la conduite, sur le territoire national, d'une véhicule relevant de la sous-catégorie A1 si le conducteur est titulaire de la catégorie B du permis de conduire depuis au moins deux ans.
Sous-catégorie A 1 - Motocyclettes légères.

Tout permis de conduire européen de catégorie B obtenu depuis plus de deux années donne en équivalence la catégorie A1 qui permet de conduire les motocyclettes légères."