Kawasaki ZRX1200R

SMT

Hi,

We are more than likely moving to France within the next 6 months or so and I want to take my 12 month old ZRX1200R with me. I understand that to re-register it in France I will need to contact Kawasaki France for an attestation? and that I may need to have it inspected to ensure it conforms with French regulations? which means I have been told that the bike must be completely standard and have a Left Hand Drive headlamp fitted?

The biggest problem as I understand is that the legal power limit in France is 100Bhp? The ZRX is about 125Bhp, which I guess means it will need to be restricted. Does anyone have any experience of having this done? Also does anyone know where I might be able to get a second hand LHD headlamp?

Thanks - Simon.

http://www.saabcentral.com/zrx1.jpg

Your bike is recent enough to comply with EU whole vehicle type approval, so you can get an EU certificate of conformity for it from Kawasaki UK which will allow you to register it here without any inspection or modification.

Do not apply to Kawasaki France for the certificate because they will insist on you restricting the bike down to 106bhp and changing the headlamp before they'll issue the CoC.

Once you've got it registered (you have a month in which to do so), you can then search out another headlamp in your own time. 

Regarding the bike having to be completely standard, you can fit officially homologated performance parts, but any modifications using non homologated parts will result in a big fine, a driving ban and confiscation of the bike....[:(]

Thanks for the info. I have requested a CoC from Kawasaki U.K. I also asked them if there is an officially approved can/exhaust system for my bike and their answer was...

"We are not aware of such restrictions regarding the fitment of performance parts to machine in France and as such no optional parts are available from Kawasaki."

Ummmm...

SMT, I'm just awaiting delivery in the UK of my new GTR 1400 which is next month to be imported to France. Kwak UK are supplying me with COC, so hoping that all will go smoothly. Will keep you posted.

Now if someone would just explain to me how this bonus malus calculation works ....

Hi Simon

When we needed to get our BM's re-registered we went to our nearest BMW dealer and they sorted out all the certificates and carried out any necessary adjustments.

So once you are over here it might well be easier to contact your local Kwak dealer and see if they can do the same for you.

We used to live near Northampton before we moved over here, where abouts are you and where are you moving to?

Good luck

SMT

Sorry if my original post was not too clear.

There are no 'special' parts for France.  The restrictions here are basically the same as those in the UK - use of racing cans and anything marked 'not for road use', etc.

The difference being the UK plod will issue a ticket and a 'get it put back to normal' notice and send you on your way.  The gendarmes will just take the bike.....[:(]

[quote user="Lizfjr"]

Now if someone would just explain to me how this bonus malus calculation works ....

[/quote]

Hi Liz,

When I insured my Triumph with Mutuelle des Motards I produced a letter from my old UK insurers which stated my earned NCB. Although written in english they accepted it with no problem. As an aside, I did the same with the cars.

Gary.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The restrictions here are basically the same as those in the UK - use of racing cans and anything marked 'not for road use', etc.

The difference being the UK plod will issue a ticket and a 'get it put back to normal' notice and send you on your way.  The gendarmes will just take the bike.....[:(]

[/quote]

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/IMG_0055.jpg[/IMG]

Naughty, but oh so nice.............................................[:D][:D]

Oh o.k. that's good news. I've only changed the can and it is still road legal.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

SMT

Sorry if my original post was not too clear.

There are no 'special' parts for France.  The restrictions here are basically the same as those in the UK - use of racing cans and anything marked 'not for road use', etc.

[/quote]

Mike & Linda,

We have only lived in Rushden Northamptonshire for 3 years, the main reason for moving here originally was because of my business and the costs involved in developing it further in London. I am originally from Wales. Bit of a nomad really!

France was always the number 1 destination, but for some reason we thought Turkey might be a possibility as well, so we decided to visit Turkey first. We have just returned from a trip to Turkey, but we decided pretty quickly that it was a nice place for a holiday, but not somewhere we would be happy living long term for various reasons.

We have been to France and Northern Spain numerous times over the years and always enjoyed it. We will be looking at the Languedoc region and are planning a trip out their in the next few weeks to have a good look around at the area.

I'm trying to import a Suzuki & a Yamaha (US) and have asked Suzuki UK for a COC for the Bandit to be told the only suply them for bikes coming into the UK not leaving.  Haven't managed to get hold of Yamaha yet but not holding out much hope as the bike was a dealler import from the US to start with.  Anyone got any idea what we should try next?! 

Plus does anyone know of  good online breaker for headlights? (tried "casse moto phare" on google but not getting very far)

Ta

You can obtain an attestation d'identité for the Bandit from Suzuki France S.A.S., BP 136, 78196 TRAPPES Cedex.

Tell them you require it for importation and registration and provide them with a copy of your V5C so they can properly identify your bike.  They will probably charge you 120€ for the certificate.

The US spec Yamaha won't comply with either EU or French national type approval, so you won't get a CoC for it.  Best to sell it in the UK.

I received my C of C from Kawasaki U.K. this morning, which was pretty damn quick considering the recent postal strikes as well. Also we sold our house on Friday after it being on the market for just 2 days! So it's all moving pretty quickly at the moment! Starting to get a bit nervous about it all now!

Thanks for your help - Simon & Ruby

• 3 months later...
[quote user="SMT"]

Hi,

We are more than likely moving to France within the next 6 months or so and I want to take my 12 month old ZRX1200R with me. I understand that to re-register it in France I will need to contact Kawasaki France for an attestation? and that I may need to have it inspected to ensure it conforms with French regulations? which means I have been told that the bike must be completely standard and have a Left Hand Drive headlamp fitted?

The biggest problem as I understand is that the legal power limit in France is 100Bhp? The ZRX is about 125Bhp, which I guess means it will need to be restricted. Does anyone have any experience of having this done? Also does anyone know where I might be able to get a second hand LHD headlamp?

Thanks - Simon.

http://www.saabcentral.com/zrx1.jpg

[/quote]

Hi

just thought you may be interested to know that we are also looking to relocate to France (Lot et Garonne) and I also have Kawasaki ZRX 1200R. If you're anywhere near Marmande / Duras, maybe we could meet up for a ride out. Are you also on the UK owners club www.zrxoc.com

Regards

Mark

I'm moving to the Beziers area in just over 2 weeks time. Beziers isn't a million miles away I guess. I am a member of the U.K. ZRX owners club website, although I haven't posted on there muchal. I did go to the Kawasaki day at the Ace Cafe with the club last year.

Keep in touch, I'm sure we can meet up at some point.

Cheers - Simon.