French Biking Laws

Framboise

You must carry your registration document (ie, V5C or French carte grise), insurance certificate (and MOT certificate if it's a UK registered bike) at all times.

You must have your headlamp on during the day (and at night, of course).

French registered bikes don't require a periodic controle technique (MOT) - but beware, unapproved technical modifications can result in fines and confiscation of the bike.

Other than that, the rules of the road are the same as for anyone else in France.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Pipes are just like here.  Must be below 84dB for road use and everyone igores it.  The other small plate bugbear in the UK is not a problem as bike plates are smaller than car ones anyway.  However as has been said if the feds ain't impressed, they can confiscate the bike.

Dunney

• 8 months later...
Sorry - resurrecting an old thread but I'm thinking of getting a bike to keep and use in France.  I am (sadly) of the age where when I last rode a bike in the UK you could do so on a full (motor car) driving licence.  Accordingly, to ride in the UK I would need to take the new bike test.  Is this a requirement in France too?

Scooby

Your category B licence allows you to ride a motorcycle up to 125cc in France without having to take a test.

However, the problem with getting a small bike just as a 'run around', is that you get the 'bug' and end up wanting something bigger and better.  It might, therefore, be a good idea to take a full bike test in the UK (the training alone would be highly beneficial for someone coming back to biking after so many years) leaving you with the choice of riding any bike you like.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

You must carry your registration document (ie, V5C or French carte grise), insurance certificate (and MOT certificate if it's a UK registered bike) at all times.

You must have your headlamp on during the day (and at night, of course).

French registered bikes don't require a periodic controle technique (MOT) - but beware, unapproved technical modifications can result in fines and confiscation of the bike.

Other than that, the rules of the road are the same as for anyone else in France.

[/quote]

S/D, Could you please clarify something for me.  Does that mean then if someone was to ride say a Triton (Triumph engine/ Norton frame) in France, the police could confisicate it or fine the rider on the spot [:-))], or would you just be completely unable to register such a bike in France?  Does this modification ruling apply to just French registered bikes, or any visiting the country that are UK registered? [8-)]

Thanks.

The bike has to comply with the technical regs of it's country of registration.  That means a UK registered Triton can be driven in France provided it complies with UK regulations.

To register it in France, it would have to obtain French type approval - difficult, but not impossible- and once it's been approved and registered, it then falls within the French regulations.