Just for bikers

Bugsy

• 4 weeks later...

Is it ever going to be possible to lose the word BIKER, if anyone refered to me as being a biker I would go absolutely APe-Sh1t. I have been ridding motorcycles sinse the age of 15, illegally at first on a Bsa Bantam,tuned to the gunwels  with George Todd tunning parts and it flew, but after passing my test on the very first occasion on ahumble Japonais machine a honda 90. How many of you can remember that far back to a Honda 90?

Shortly after that I bought a Matchless G8 500 twin, A genuine British Motorcycle. ,Bsa's, Triumphs Nortons Vellocettes and I continued to ride British motorcycle machines until the sad demise of the the British motorcycle industry. I then bought a Motto-Guzzi 850 T3 motorcycle a brilliant machine, handled and braked extremely well but the crome and electrics let it down.

My next machine was a BMW R90s, such a comfortable and smooth motorcycle, the next an R100rs, another beautiful Motorcycle. And I still ride Bmw's to this day. All of these Motorcycles are stooped in tradition of good sound engineering. Even the Bmw's engineering, one of my K75s is now due for it' very first shimming of the tappets after almost 90.000 mls. That is engineering for you.

My definition of a bike is a Humpy Dickieson that needs through pipes, (no silencers) to eliminate the rattle and clatter of the motor.

I'm NOT a Biker I'm a  genuine 100 per cent MOTORCYCLIST.

Is it ever going to be possible to lose the word MOTORCYCLIST, if anyone refered to me as being an incontinent gorilla I would go absolutely APe-Sh1t. I have been riding motorbikes since figuring out the gear lever's place in the natural order of things is adjacent  to my left foot. By the age of 15 I had figured out which foot was my left and proceeded to make a start on my own hole in the ozone layer illegally at first on a Suzuki TS 90,tuned to the gunwhales  with application of a very rough file to the transfer ports and much twiddling with the mixture screw, throttle needle height and removal of baffle, cue enormous hole in power band ! the Bodge Bod tuning parts helped it fly and it flew gracefully through a hedge with yours truly aboard. I passed my test on the very first occasion on a humble Japanese machine a Kawasaki KH250 (The examiner was on a bicycle and the KH spewed smoke like a kipper house. How many of you can remember that far back to a Kawasaki kipper house 250?

Shortly after that I bought a Kawasaki Z650, A genuine Japanese Motorbike all piper exhaust and fork braces, a real whale tailed bad boy. Suzukis, Yamahas notwithstanding I continued to ride crappy Japanese motorbikes (Still light years ahead of the competition) until the sad demise of the the British motorcycle industry whereupon the Japanese really rubbed it in and proceeded to spend the next twenty years consolidating market position.  Lets face it the white heat of British Motorcycling at the time being a Hesketh box of bolts, a wheezy Parraloil twin or a detonating and odd looking rotary Wan......well you get the idea. I then bought a Suzuki Katana 650 a brilliant bike, handled and braked extremely well but the chrome and electrics let it down particularly the exploding generator!

My next machine was a Yamaha XT 600, such an uncomfortable and slow motorbike but good fun, the next an FZ600S, a bountiful motorbike. I still ride Yammies to this day. All of these Motorbikes are stooped in tradition of good sound engineering (hence the tuning fork on the tank). I ride a bike for fun , monster miles on cement mixer engined bikes are not for me. It's alleged that even a Benford dump truck is more exciting to drive than a BMW K75 although the service intervals are similar with the very first shimming of the tappets after almost 90.000 mls. That is engineering for you.

My definition of a bike is an inline four with attitude (possible a tasty wee pipe and some suspension tweaks) and a motorcycle as something that belongs in a museum, this may include Humpy Dickieson which need through pipes, (no silencers) to eliminate the rattle and clatter of the motor. or anything with a 1930s inspired boxer lump..........

I'm NOT a Motorcyclist I'm a  genuine 100 per cent Biker with a healthy disrespect for convention and an attitude that if it's got two wheels and being used that's just fine. Cliques is for Ratshits....oops me and my spellink

And so to bed...........

I'm definately a Motorcyclist, I know it's a bit 'pipe and slippers' but I can't help associate 'biker', which I think arrived in the UK when I was at university in the mid-seventies, with the greasy oiks who had a knackered Triumph chop (but yearned for a Harley) and soaked there jeans in old engine oil. They invairably then got their girlfriend pregnant and have never ridden a bike since although they still read 'Back Street Heroes' every month. Biker is also another example of the horrible words that have crept into UK English in the last 40 years (lounge, awesome, gutted are some others)

[quote user="Mr Wiggy"]Is it ever going to be possible to lose the word BIKER, if anyone refered to me as being a biker I would go absolutely APe-Sh1t........I'm NOT a Biker I'm a  genuine 100 per cent MOTORCYCLIST.[/quote]You sound more like an ageing ROCKER or a GREASER to me [Www]

Biker

noun

a member of a motorcycle organization or gang

Motorcyclist

noun

a traveller who rides a motorcycle

I don't actually care what people call me, biker, motorcyclist, 'riding god!'  [:)], they are only words anyway.

Riding motorcycles is something that many don't understand anyway and it's not something that can be easily explained. When you see riders wave to each other, they probably don't know each other, but they do know what its all about.

Whether you ride alone or with a group of friends, on the latest sports rocket or an old oily plodder, it doesn't matter, we are all part of that special something.

If the weather was better, I wouldn't be writing this, I'd be out on my bike..............roll on some sunshine..[:D]

Gary.

[quote user="Bugsy"]I don't actually care what people call me, biker, motorcyclist, 'riding god!'

If the weather was better, I wouldn't be writing this, I'd be out on my bike..............roll on some sunshine..[:D][/quote]Would that be fair weather biker, motorcyclist, 'riding god then [6]

"they probably don't know each other, but they do know what its all about"

"Biker

noun

a member of a motorcycle organization or gang 

Fraternity

noun

1. A body of people associated for a common purpose or interest, such as a guild.

2. A group of people joined by similar backgrounds, occupations, interests, or tastes:

3. A chiefly social organization of men students at a college or university, usually designated by Greek letters.

4. Roman Catholic Church A sodality.

5. The quality or condition of being brothers; brotherliness.

I would respectfully suggest that by virtue of numbers 1, 3 and 5 we are all bikers....some of us choose to get a bit uppity....but fundamentally....bikers

Those of us who are all 5 I take my hat off to you.

I suspect one ceases to be a biker when one looks down ones nose at someone else on two wheels...

Biker or Motorcyclist: It is just a word, I just happen to dislike the word 'biker'.

Motorcycling is a fraternity. Anyone who rides a two wheeled motorised vehicle for the sake of it belongs to the fraternity.

Biker conjures up associations with gangs and organisations which are more about lifestyle than a passion for a mode of transport.

Motorcycling has a poor enough public image and the perceived 'cult biker' does nothing to improve it.

Motorcycling encompasses people from all walks of like and with many different ideas about what they want from their bike and whilst we each respect the others interests it doesn't mean that we're going be be eternal best mates with every other motorcyclist we meet (rather like Brits in France!). 

"Biker" conjuring up images of Peter Fondaesque rebels without a cause.......perhaps in the Blue rinse brigade.

I am not asking anyone to be my uncle Albert equally I see no reason to be pretentious...Biker, Bikeist whatever but spar me the moral high ground of one should refer to ones-self as a motorcyclist purely to assume some mantle of respectability. 

It's a bit like the terms driver and motorist...the latter is almost defunct.

Motorcyclist is of course a valid term...much the same as plus 4s are a valid pair of trousers....... ;)

[quote user="Bugsy"]

I don't actually care what people call me, biker, motorcyclist, 'riding god!'  [:)], they are only words anyway.

[/quote]

Gary sums it up for me.... I don't get hung up on things like this.....  call me what you want....  Sir is preferable.[:P]

If the names "Bikers or motorcyclists" upsets one or two of you , how about another

" Piker" --- definition , someone who has ridden most types of bikes for years, mainly without the owners consent .

Is there anyone out there that slots into this category?  because my BMW  K75 ( wanting a 90k service and shimming of tappets, thats engineering for you ) is sitting on my drive in the dark with keys in ignition and half a tank of petrol . --- nobody ! come on , there must be one Piker out there,--- OK  OK  l'll shut the dog in the barn if that helps .    [:-))]