UK Yamaha Frazer600

Gyro

Hi I just passed my bike licence in France and I'm itching to buy a bike before the summer begins, I am looking for the new type fazer600 and after shopping around I think that to buy th bike in the UK is far cheaper.

The only thing I worried about is after I import the bike, how expensive is it to change it to a French bike and whats involved?

I can tell you a few things. I think that the fazer is well under the 106hp limit set in france so a uk spec will be fine. You may have to have the headlamp changed because the way the dip works, to the wrong side i suspect. Also inthe uk the bikes are way cheaper and I have thought the exact same thing, but. You may get stung for tax on it as its new as france wants a bit aswell. Otherwise I dont think you should have a problem but find out baout how much you may get taxed before you go and get one.

Has been covered many times, but as you are a fellow biker here it is again.

Get a European Certificate of Conformity from Yamaha UK if you can.

Go to the local impots office and get the tax form.

Go to the prefecture and register the bike with a cheque for about 100 euros.

Get a plate made and fit it.

The only problem that you might have is the impots form if the bike is new.

Thanks guys

I'm almost sure the speedo is digital on thet model so I guess it wont be a problem changing it to kilometers? I had a bike in Ireland but only on a provisional licence so it wasn't valid outside naturally enough, but I have to say I really had no clue how to ride a bike correctly until I had my lessons here have to say I'm impressed with the system here.

The speedo will have nothing to do with getting the bike French registered. It could have an impact on getting a Certificate of Conformity though. If you get the CofC from the UK, no problem. If you try to get one from Yamaha France they will want to see that the speedo and headlight have been changed before issuing one.

The Prefecture only want a CofC.

The key point here will be a potential tax liability.

If the bike you're buying is classed as a New Means of Transport (ie, if it's less than six months old and/or it's travelled less than 6,000kms under its own power) then French VAT will be payable upon arrival here.  If that's the case, then you should ask your UK dealer to supply the bike 'tax free' for export.  He'll give you a VAT Form 411 and arrange an export registration document and special plate for the bike which will allow you to ride it the UK for up to two months before you have to remove it from the country.  

When the bike arrives in France, you visit your local tax office with the registration document and the Form 411 and pay the French VAT.  They'll issue you with a tax paid certificate which you produce to your prefecture as proof of payment when you register the bike.

If the bike is more than six months old/higher mileage, then you just buy it as normal in the UK.  No VAT is payable here in France and the tax office will given you a VAT exemption certificate instead.

• 2 months later...

Surely the Frazer 600 was only made for the Scottish market?

To check make sure the seat cover is tartan and the toolkit should be in a sporan.

It should also have the special aftermarket bag-pipes that make a wailing sound.