Where do you look for holidays?

Beemer1150

I concur with SD, many require a stopover on their way to somewhere interesting. Strangely, everyone I know tends to keep to the Normandy, Brittany, Loire Atlantique areas, so there is hope for anyone offering accomodation. We have never looked for covered parking etc, as out in the sticks crime is pretty much non-existent, and as most bikes are alarmed there is little chance of one going walkies.

As an example we know a place in Arromanches. we have stayed there many times. Why? The guy that owns it is super-friendly, talks for a past time, and a free beer is always in our hand before we get off the bikes! There is no pool, no garden as such, but the rooms are very clean and the restuarants are a short walk away. We spend all day every day out on the bikes, so all we require is a good breakfast, and we get one. Another added bonus is that he knows everyone in Arromanches, so if we are ever looking for accomodation and he is fully booked, then he can usually find us somewhere, as well as give us the ins and outs on the restaurants, which ones have just changed hands, provide the best meals etc.

One thing that would go down well is a drying room, few bike places have them, and a hose/cleaning facilities (for the bikes, not the owners) would go down well. One other little tip is a bucket of clean water and a squeegee or sponge for cleaning insect strewn visors, this is a must have and will always go down well. Don't forget a cloth for drying them afterwards.

We used to do the 'different place every night' thing, but it became a chore. Packing and unpacking every day loses its appeal after a while. We decided to pick places that would be great to be in on an evening, and spend our days travelling 150-200 miles in any direction just for the ride. We honestly don't care whether there is anything to look at when we get there, all we want is food and coffee..and decent back roads! I think that is the difference between the biking community and the car/family community. A biking holiday is just an extended Sunday ride in a different country, car owners tend to like going to look at things...or at least their wives do! : )

Cheers

Rob G

• 3 weeks later...
Just had our first booking from bike-stay.net for a week's stay for 5 in July. We've only been on the site for 2 weeks!  And they will be our first British guests (all the others so far have been French or Belgian) - this is our first year though.  All very exciting!

Fi

• 3 weeks later...
Excellent.

We have found this site great and the guests have been fab too.

Helps if you have basic tools for them and facilities for them to wash their bikes (and clothes if on a long journey).

They have been really helpful with my own bike too giving me lots of tips and ideas.

Ron

Well teh builder is now completing my renovation as I type. All I have to do is paint the walls and ceilings some time, and furnish it. I might look at renting it out, it will be like a brand new house with all mod cons, on the other hand....I would rather live in it myself!

Ron G

• 4 weeks later...