Where do you look for holidays?

Beemer1150

We're just finishing the complete renovation of a lovely old cottage as a Gite in Charente Maritime (17).

It's perfect for a bike holiday - it sleeps two, great weather here, tranquil location and very quiet roads, plus undercover parking for the bike in the barn alongside our own Beemer.

Advertising is expensive and we want to target it well. So our question is - where would you look if you wanted to book something like this? Any particular website, magazine etc?

Any suggestions most welcome.

As bikers ourselves we belong to several motorcycle clubs in the UK which have their own publications and take adverts, which I assume are probably really cheap as the magazines are produced at someone's PC and the clubs are usually not out to make a profit. So I would contact the BMF (British Motorcyclists Federation) http://www.bmf.co.uk/home/index.php and see if you could get a list of the clubs to send adverts to.

As bikers yourselves, of course, you could write to the motorcycle magazines in the UK telling them that you have found these amazing roads and have a gite available, and they may include it in the editorial rather than take it as an advert. Editors are always looking for copy, so if you could write a small bit about the area, the roads, your own Beemer, etc., then you might get included.

Good luck.

[quote user="nectarine"]As bikers ourselves we belong to several motorcycle clubs in the UK which have their own publications and take adverts, which I assume are probably really cheap as the magazines are produced at someone's PC and the clubs are usually not out to make a profit. So I would contact the BMF (British Motorcyclists Federation) http://www.bmf.co.uk/home/index.php and see if you could get a list of the clubs to send adverts to.

As bikers yourselves, of course, you could write to the motorcycle magazines in the UK telling them that you have found these amazing roads and have a gite available, and they may include it in the editorial rather than take it as an advert. Editors are always looking for copy, so if you could write a small bit about the area, the roads, your own Beemer, etc., then you might get included. Good luck.[/quote]

There is a couple in my area who did just that it it worked out very well for them.

• 3 weeks later...
We have 2 gites with garages in the Vosges.  The mountains seem to be full of people on bikes having a lovely time on the roads and passes.  (And only 6 hours in a car from Calais, probably quicker on a bike).     My husband is an ex-biker and he does have the occasional drooly moment when driving around in our boring Zafira!.  Have taken on board previous comments about bike clubs/forums/organsiations in the UK, and I will investigate them, but does anyone know the equivalent organisations in France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and  Switzerland?   This is a part of France which seems to be thorougly ignored by most Brits (they don't know what they're missing), but the Dutch, Belgians, Swiss and Germans seem to be more discerning [;-)] - go on, prove me wrong!

The Tour de France is passing through too this year, but that's a different kind of bike of course!

Thanks

Fi

[quote user="Scooter"]Bike Stay France is an excellent site and not that expensive.

Hope this helps.

Scooter[/quote]

Have you any experience of the site?  It looks quite good, but it does seem rather light in terms of numbers of properties listed.  However, that isn't necessarily a bad thing,  and I can tailor our usual package to suit bikers' needs  (bloke started warbling on about getting trickle charger (I think that's what he said) and various other esoteric-sounding equipments - just hope they're very cheap), I was thinking more along the lines of shorter stays, and providing basic supplies because of the obvious limitations on luggage for this type of client.

Thanks for the help!

Fi

Hi

Yes, we advertise on it and have had 3 bookings so far which has been great.

You can have a look at our advertisement and see what you think. It is Chalet le Chapeau Bleu in St Beat in the Haute Garonne, Midi Pyrenees.

It has been worth the money and effort for us.

Good luck with your new enterprise.

Ron

This is an interesting thread.

I am currently in the UK, and have a place that is going to be completely renovated by the end of the year (don't say I am being optimistic...I have had it 7 years!!. It is just the finishing touches).

I travel to France on Biking hols at least once a year with friends, but we always plump for hotels, or a 'known' place where we  know we will get a good breakfast, and that has excellent eateries just down the road.

I am wondering how many of you successfully rent to the biking fraternity on a 100% self catering basis? Mine will sleep 4/6, and has plenty of restaurants 3 kms one way, and 10kms the other. But on a purely personal basis, for my own biking trips, it isn't somewhere that I would pick for accomodation, even though the location is perfect. I would love to know how much interest you are getting.

Rob G

[quote user="Wibblywobbly"]This is an interesting thread.

I am currently in the UK, and have a place that is going to be completely renovated by the end of the year (don't say I am being optimistic...I have had it 7 years!!. It is just the finishing touches).

I travel to France on Biking hols at least once a year with friends, but we always plump for hotels, or a 'known' place where we  know we will get a good breakfast, and that has excellent eateries just down the road.

I am wondering how many of you successfully rent to the biking fraternity on a 100% self catering basis? Mine will sleep 4/6, and has plenty of restaurants 3 kms one way, and 10kms the other. But on a purely personal basis, for my own biking trips, it isn't somewhere that I would pick for accomodation, even though the location is perfect. I would love to know how much interest you are getting.

Rob G

[/quote]

I  am not a biker so I cannot be sure, but there could be  price issues

here.  4 people could share one of my gites for the same price per

night as 1.5 people in a reasonable b&b. Not a bad payback for

buying your own croissants!  And of course there is a lot more space to

call your own.

We are on http://www.bike-stay.net - look in France, Lorraine, Gerbepal Gites - please do take a look.  We've only been there for a week so it's early days for judging the effectiveness of a particular site.

Fi

If you were to do a study of the various UK bike forums, I suspect you'd find that most people plan their French holiday in terms of getting to the areas which offer the best riding roads - in order of popularity, that will be the Alps, Pyrennees, Vosges and the Massif.  With the exception of events such as the MotoGP and the Bol d'Or and some 'must see' places like the Millau Viaduct, the rest of France is probably of little interest to them, other than somewhere to get through quickly on the way to their chosen riding Valhalla.

For en route stopovers, people tend to look for a bed for the night and a breakfast on the table in the morning.  Price is probably less of an issue than that of convenience.

If you guys want to encourage bikers then it would help to say on your websites that you have things like secure undercover parking for bikes, most UK bikers are terrified of bike crime. A mention that you welcome motorcycles would also help. I have been turned away from places (in the UK) when my wife and I try to book somewhere and ask about a place to park the bikes, but if we turned up in the car we would be welcome!