damaged scooter

bigears

hi

We had a low speed spill on monday as we negotiated some road works that were controlled by traffic lights.  A digger was working moving a large pile of gravel which covered three quarters of the road.  I was proceeding slowly towards him when he swing the digger arm towards me, I turned left to avoid him and lost the bike in the mud at the side of the road.  The workmen were't interested as the boss said we didn't hit you.  If I had continued straight on he would have.  Actually during the time we were at the accident spot one of the workmen was injured, not sure how, he was hit on the head by something pehaps the other digger, the workmen were a real bunch of cowboys.  Went to the local gendarmary told them the tale, said the driver was working dangerously and had caused the accident.  They took down some details but weren't interested in doing anything about it.

To put the bike back into as new condition would be expensive, perhaps 800 euros as plastic panels are expensive and the exhaust has a  significant dent in it.  The scooter is a burgman 400 sept/07.  Not sure if I should claim on my insurance or just do the minimum repairs to it out of my own pocket.  I will loose 2 years of my 50% bonus and have to pay 10% of the repairs. 

Any advice about how to proceed would be apprciated, especially aby implications of claiming on my insurance.

hi

thanks chancer, the gendarmes did register the details and did phone up the company.  I'm leaning towards claiming on the insurance but I don't think they will be able to pin the blame on the other party with no independent witnesses.