50cc Peugeot Trekker 307 WRC

chicken

I don't know if this the right place, but I'm thinking about getting a scooter.  Does anyone know anything about this particular model?  Will it be fast enough to get round the country roads?  Any adivce gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi,

I don't know about your particular scooter, but most scooters in the UK at 50cc can only go to a "maximum" of 30 miles per hour when driving with a full UK car drivers licence. I don't know if this is the same in France.

I get my new one on Monday !!!

Can't wait.

Happy Scootering !!!!

Mel.

Thanks for responding Mel.  What are you getting?

After thinking about it for a bit - I think I might need something with a bit more power - 125cc I think.  Does anyone know if there any legal limitations in France?  Would a 125 scooter be ok for doing longish journey of 50km or so?

Thanks for your time

Hi Chicken.

Personally, I think it would be best to forget the “Flymo” Kymo and concentrate on either a European 125 machine or a Nippon 125 machine,  if parts were required the spares situation would certainly be a lot more accessible than with the KYMO, you would have to pay import duty on a Nippon machine but the spares are I would imagine,  far more plentiful.

I’m a little non-plus about what Mel has said about driving a low capacity machine of (50cc) on a full car licence with a speed restriction of 30mph. That is completely wrong; this is for the 16 year olds only, and who are not permitted to drive a car at that age.

I can’t find any mention of that in any of the regulations. It has always permitted to drive anything up to a 125cc with a maximum of 14.6BHP on a full car licence, these machines have a max speed of around 65mph = 100 kph.

So if I were you I would certainly go for a 125cc, less stress on the engine than on a 50cc and therefore more economical than a 50cc.

Keep your wig on Mr Wiggy, I was only going on what I was told !!!This is what the law says in the uk..............don't know how this applies in france although as part of the EU it may well be the same.

Motorcycle licence requirementsIf you have a provisional motorcycle licence, you MUST satisfactorily complete a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course. You can then ride on the public road, with L plates (in Wales either D plates, L plates or both can be used), for up to two years. To obtain your full motorcycle licence you MUST pass a motorcycle theory test and then a practical test.

[Law MV(DL)R regs 16 & 68]

If you have a full car licence you may ride motorcycles up to 125 cc and 11 kW power output, with L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), on public roads, but you MUST first satisfactorily complete a CBT course if you have not already done so.

[Law MV(DL)R reg 43]

If you have a full moped licence and wish to obtain full motorcycle entitlement, you will be required to take a motorcycle theory test if you did not take a separate theory test when you obtained your moped licence. You MUST then pass a practical motorcycle test. Note that if CBT was completed for the full moped licence there is no need to repeat it, but if the moped test was taken before 1/12/90 CBT will need to be completed before riding a motorcycle as a learner.

[Law MV(DL)R regs 42(1) & 69(1)]

Light motorcycle licence (A1): you take a test on a motorcycle of between 75 and 125 cc. If you pass you may ride a motorcycle up to 125 cc with power output up to 11 kW.

Standard motorcycle licence (A): if your test vehicle is between 120 and 125 cc and capable of more than 100 km/h you will be given a standard (A) licence. You will then be restricted to motorcycles of up to 25 kW for two years. After two years you may ride any size machine.

Direct or Accelerated Access enables riders over the age of 21, or those who reach 21 before their two-year restriction ends, to ride larger motorcycles sooner. To obtain a licence to do so they are required to

have successfully completed a CBT course

pass a theory test, if they are required to do so

pass a practical test on a machine with power output of at least 35 kW

To practise, they can ride larger motorcycles, with L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), on public roads, but only when accompanied by an approved instructor on another motorcycle in radio contact.

You MUST NOT carry a pillion passenger or pull a trailer until you have passed your test.

[Law MV(DL)R reg 16]

Moped licence requirements

A moped MUST have an engine capacity not exceeding 50 cc, not weigh more than 250 kg and be designed to have a maximum speed not exceeding 31 mph (50 km/h). From June 2003 all EC Type Approved mopeds have been restricted to 28 mph (45 km/h).

[Law RTA 1988 (as amended) sect 108]

To ride a moped, learners MUST

• be 16 or over

• have a provisional moped licence

• complete CBT training

You MUST first pass the theory test for motorcycles and then the moped practical test to obtain your full moped licence. If you passed your driving test before 1 February 2001 you are qualified to ride a moped without L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), although it is recommended that you complete CBT before riding on the road. If you passed your driving test after this date you MUST complete CBT before riding a moped on the road.

[Laws RTA 1988 sects 97(e) & 101 & MV(DL)R regs 38(4) & 43]

Note. For motorcycle and moped riders wishing to upgrade, the following give exemption from taking the motorcycle theory test

full A1 motorcycle licence

full moped licence, if gained after 1/7/96

[Law MV(DL)R reg 42]

Previous page / next page

You and your bicycle Motor vehicle documentation and learner driver requirements

Was this information useful

[quote user="Mr Wiggy"]

I’m a little non-plus about what Mel has said about driving a low capacity machine of (50cc) on a full car licence with a speed restriction of 30mph. That is completely wrong; this is for the 16 year olds only, and who are not permitted to drive a car at that age.

[/quote]

Mel's statement was actually correct....[;-)]

Sub-50cc scooters are manufactured with a maximum design speed not exceeding 45kph so that they can be registered as mopeds (UK) or cyclomoteurs (France).  Their speed is determined by the design of the scooter rather than according to which licence is held by the person riding it. 

Apart from that, the advice to go for a good quality 125 is good.

Hi

I'm the original poster.  Sorry that I've caused a bit of a row!  Anyway, just curious what's the objection to the KYMO.  I've seen good reviews on the internet.  The seller is asking 1250 euros for a bike owned just by him, registered in 2006 but it's only done 1250km.  Is this not a good deal?  I really know nothing about scooters whatsoever and am looking for advice.  I want a scooter to be more ecological.

Thanks again

Before you can ride a motorcycle on the road you must comply with certain legal requirements which fall into two categories

Those with which YOU must comply

Those with which your MOTORCYCLE must comply

The topics covered are

THE PROVISIONAL DRIVING LICENCE

To ride a motorcycle on the road you must

Be at least 17 years old (16 for a moped)

Have a driving licence which allows you to ride motorcycles (category A)

That licence can be any of the following

A provisional driving licence with motorcycle entitlement

Full car licence. This automatically provides provisional motorcycle entitlement

Full motorcycle licence

Full moped licence. This provides automatic provisional motorcycle entitlement if you're aged 17 years or over

Provisional motorcycle entitlement

This entitles learners to ride a motorcycle

Up to 125cc

With a maximum power output of 11kW (14.6bhp)

Learners who wish to ride a side-car outfit can do so with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg.

If you're not sure about any of this then you can get further advice from your motorcycle dealer or trainer.

With provisional motorcycle entitlement you must not

Ride on motorways

Carry a pillion passenger

Ride without L-plates (or D-plates in Wales)

Two year limit

Provisional motorcycle licences used to have a life of 2 years. But as from 1st February 2001, motorcycle licensing rules were changed. All new provisional licences showing motorcycle entitlement issued from that date are valid until the holder's 70th birthday.

Holders of the old licences can apply to have the licence replaced with one that will include provisional motorcycle entitlement valid to age 70. Replacement licences should be applied for from DVLA using the normal application forms (available from Post Offices).

Existing motorcycle provisional licence holders who do not pass a motorcycle test before their provisional licence expires are NOT now subject to the 12 month wait before they can get new entitlement.

How to get a licence

If you don't already have a licence with provisional motorcycle entitlement then collect a D1 form ( driving licence application ) and a D750 form ( photocard application ) from a Post Office or from DVLA ( 0870 240 0009 ). Complete the forms and send them to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Centre ( DVLC ) at Swansea.

All provisional licences now automatically include motorcycle entitlement but many post offices are still issuing the old application forms on which you had to tick the 'with motorcycles' box to get learner motorcycle entitlement included.

If you want to ride a motorcycle you can ignore this section of the application form or you can tick the 'with motorcycles' box just to make sure.

COMPULSORY BASIC TRAINING (CBT)

All learner motorcyclists and moped riders must complete CBT before riding on the road unless they

Passed a full moped test after 1 December 1990

Live and ride on specified offshore islands

Already hold a Certificate of Completion (DL196) obtained during a previous motorcycle entitlement or when riding a moped

Intend to ride a moped and passed the car tests before 1st Feb 2001

When you've completed CBT you'll be given a DL196. You must produce this before you can take the practical motorcycle test.

A DL196 has a 2 year life. If you don't pass both your theory and practical tests in that time then you'll have to take the CBT course again.

A DL196 obtained on a moped is valid for a motorcycle when the rider reaches the age of 17.

TYPES OF FULL LICENCE

There are three types of full motorcycle licences to aim for.

1. Category P - moped.

2. Category A1 - light motorcycle licence - to receive this you must take and pass your test on a motorcycle with

an engine size over 75cc but not more than 125cc

a power output of not more than 11kW (14.6 bph)

a maximum speed of not more than 100 kph (62.5 mph)

You will now have full licence entitlement on any motorcycle up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW (14.6 bhp). This licence is intended for riders of C90s and similar who don't intend to ride anything bigger. It will not become an unrestricted category A licence after two years. If you take a test on a C90 or similar then you will have to take another test to ride anything bigger than a 125cc, 11kW bike with a maximum speed of over 100kph (62.5mph).

3. Category A - standard motorcycle licence - (aka A2) - this is what you'll obtain if you pass your test on a motorcycle over 120cc but not over 125cc and is capable of more than 100 kph (62.5mph). With this licence you are entitled to ride a motorcycle up to 25kW (33 bhp) and a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kw/kg.

There is no restriction on engine size (cc) so you can now ride a bike bigger than a 125cc. There are plenty of bikes around in the 125cc to 400cc range that produce no more than 25kW (33bhp) - ask your local dealer. You can ride a bike with a power output over 25kW but you'll need a restrictor kit on it to restrict the power output to 25kW. Any good motorcycle mechanic will fit a restrictor for you and give you the necessary documentation. Your insurance will cost more though because insurance companies tend to disregard restrictors.

So does this mean that you're going to have to buy a 14.6bhp, 125cc bike to learn and practice and take your test on then sell it and buy a 33bhp, bigger than 125cc bike after passing the test to take full advantage of what you're allowed to ride? Well, some do and some don't. What most people do (the under 21 year olds usually) is one of the following two options

1. Do the CBT, buy a 14.6, 125cc bike (probably 2nd hand for about £500) and get a bit of practice on the roads with L plates, then go back to the training centre to do some pre-test training which is not compulsory but definitely advisable. Then they take and pass (hopefully) the tests and sell or trade in their 125, 14.6 bike and get a 400cc (or any size they want), 33bhp bike or over 33bhp and have a restrictor kit put on it for about £150. After 2 years they can ride a bike over 33bhp.

2. They skip the practising on the roads with L plates bit. They just do CBT, pre-test training and test within a couple of weeks all on the training centre's bike. Then, if they pass the test first time, they buy a 400cc (or any size) bike up to 33bhp or over 33bhp and have a restrictor kit put on it. Most under 21s choose a 400cc rather than a 600cc or more as the insurance is much lower.

After two years you may ride any size and power of motorcycle without taking another test.

If you're 21 or over, or if you reach 21 within the 2 year period, there are quicker ways of obtaining entitlement to ride a more powerful bike. They are called the Direct Access Scheme (DAS) and the Accelerated Access Scheme (AAS). For information regarding these please go to "Further training".

If your practical test is passed on an automatic motorcycle the full licence gained will be restricted to automatic bikes only.

Hi chicken,

Whatever you decide to do I hope you enjoy your motor cycling.

There are obviously some people on this forum who can't make a decent contribution or correct what they feel is mis-information without decending to abuse of other peoples contributions. I do apologise for them.

Happy travelling.

Best wishes Mel.

Some strongly held views expressed, but I think the main piece of useful advice already given concerning the machine itself is to buy the one with the biggest engine you can lawfully ride, and preferably a reputable make. The engine will, as already stated, cope better, being under less stress than a smaller one.

I personally wouldn't want to do rides of 50km on one of these 50cc machines; surely you've been behind and passed them out on the road, usually with teenagers riding them? They handy for getting to college and that's about it.

Sid