personal loan

ignition

We own a substantial house in France which have been trying to sell for 2 years. We have a personal loan - NOT a mortgage - that is about 10% of what the property is worth. We can no longer keep up the repayments. We are in discussions with the bank. What action can the bank take in trying to get the money back from us? There is no mortgage on the property.

I'm not so sure there is really that much difference between UK and France, if you owe money in either they can come after your assets although I have little doubt that the French would be the more aggressive.

As far as I understand it once judgement has been made against you, then the baliff can sieze your assets, and/or freeze your bank account, and/or sequester your salary if working, and/or place a charge on your property, and the ultimate step if the debt still remains unpaid, force a sale of the property.

To be brutally frank I think in your position I'd be dropping my asking price to the absolute minimum I could live with. Most property will sell if the price is right.

Good luck.

If nothing has happened in 2 years - and I know in France it can take a time to sell - then perhaps something is wrong with the price especially as money in places such as the UK is tight so there are less potential buyers.

Perhaps best to drop the price as suggested so that you avoid any legal / reclaim bills etc to add to what you owe the bank.

Paul

As I see it you have 2 options. 

Reduce the price to one it will sell at and pay off the loan.  Putting it bluntly, you owe money, it is your obligation to settle what you owe and not getting maximum price for liquidating your assets is not a viable excuse for doing nothing.

As you have a loan which is not a mortgage I presume that the loan is unsecured.  In UK terms the bank is in a fairly vulnerable position.  If it were me in UK (apologies if this is not possible somehow in France) I would speak to the bank, offer them the property as security, extend the loan period to reduce repayments (or even go interest only), show them how the property is being marketed to convince them its a finite arrangement.  In theory the bank are in a better, more secured position and should agree to this.  Alternatively try another mortgage lender.  This assumes you could afford the reduced payments and are creditworthy in the first place.  If not then I'm afraid its option 1.

• 1 month later...