New section

Ex Forum Admin

This new section is just fantastic.  As a 'not too bright' newcomer to photography with my first and cheapest on the market digital camera I am really intimidated by the stunning 'photos on display but I don't care  at all about that.  It is just wonderful to see everybody else's lovely contributions.  I have looked at every single one and am now waiting for some more.  NOW please![:)][:)][:D]

I agree Dick. An expensive camera can do things that a cheep point and shoot can't. BUT it is the person behind the camera that makes the difference. If you can show me a pro photographer that didn't start as a novice then I will show you a liar..

Keep going at it Megan. It's a wonderful hobby/pass time call it what you like and like Dick, I used to waste rolls of film getting the ones I really wanted. Digital has made it so much easier.

Thanks also to James for the section. See James, I'm a happy bunny now I've got me big box!! Ta.

Oh, and Photoshop et al can cover up a multitude of sins.  But it's true, cheapie cameras are not the problem, it's the person behind the viewfinder.  And btw why, oh why do people not use these (viewfinders) any more?  Makes the camera - especially if it is a small lightweight one - much more stable if it's up against your face than looking at the image through the screen and holding the camera in mid air.

That's one of the things about my camera. It has an electronic viewfinder. You can look at the sun with it, because it is not direct! You can look at your review pikkies through it and you use it just as an SLR, but you can also swivel the body, put the view onto the screen and get some lovely 'from the hip' shots and get them right. I'll try to get some tomorrow at a lunch?

Thank-you everybody for being so encouraging.  Dick, that photo is lovely, it is hard to believe that it was taken with a cheap camera.  If you don't mind, I will steal it and put it with 'Mes images' as a sort of a goal to remind me what can be achieved with even the most modest equipment. 

I took my first couple of non-dog photos this morning and will post them elsewhere on the forum.  I am a little disappointed with them but I will persevere.[:D]

And one of the huge joys of digital, Megan, is that you can do just that - persevere and above all, practice.  Snap away until your fingers ache and it costs you precisely nothing!  Pro' photographers have always worked on the basis of taking hundreds of pictures and publishing just one - now we can all afford to do the same.