How to collect from a customer who refuses to pay?

pysov

I am an american, my French wife and I just started an autoenterprise doing equestrian videography near Paris. We took an order from a customer for 20€, not a big amount I know, but now two weeks after she received her DVD and agreed to pay....nothing. She stopped answering emails. We don't really want to stop accepting orders before being paid, some customers feel better that way, but what recourse do we have in collecting if someone decides not to pay? Is there a small claims court or some equivalent, or some thing we can at least 'threaten' to do to discourage the odd customer from getting our DVD's and then just disappearing? I'm sure that all the options are more trouble than they are worth, and maybe the best thing to do is just stop accepting preorders? I am new to the forum, thanks in advance for any advice!

Jared

Forget it. If you go to tribunal its going to cost a minimum of €100 for a huissier to be engaged to deliver a letter. France is not a small claims court friendly country. I'm out of pocket for €5000 which a client did not pay, four years later we are €9000 out of pocket for lawyers fees and the court of appeal waiting list is years. Even getting a lawyer to do a letter demanding payment is €120 TTC (I know been there and done it)

Money first....always, always, always have payment in your hand before posting items. Goodwill is all fine and well, but as you see, plenty of people are not willing to keep their end of the bargain.

As for recourse....I cant see anything being worth the hassle for the sake of 20€. Put it down to experience and modify your methods from now on.

Yea pretty much what I figured, I feel bad now posting about such a petty amount compared to what others have dealt with. But the advice helps because if our business gets any kind of success, the amts could be more, and we need to know what kind of business policies etc to have. Anyway, thanks all for the help!

Jared

[quote user="pysov"]I am an american, my French wife and I just started an autoenterprise doing equestrian videography near Paris. We took an order from a customer for 20€, not a big amount I know, but now two weeks after she received her DVD and agreed to pay....nothing. She stopped answering emails. We don't really want to stop accepting orders before being paid, some customers feel better that way, but what recourse do we have in collecting if someone decides not to pay? Is there a small claims court or some equivalent, or some thing we can at least 'threaten' to do to discourage the odd customer from getting our DVD's and then just disappearing? I'm sure that all the options are more trouble than they are worth, and maybe the best thing to do is just stop accepting preorders? I am new to the forum, thanks in advance for any advice!

Jared[/quote]

Forgive in advance if I am being blunt.

Is this a typo or, did you really create a video for twenty euros!

Post edited by the moderators.

Please do not post comments which are
insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others.

We create the movie, montage, promo video, etc, and depending on the situation we sell the copies as DVD's or web based media. For example, a copy of a wedding in DVD format we may sell for 20€. So no, We don't make the video's for 20€.

pysov, what I would do (but then I;m a sarcastic little creature) is, every time something gets up my nose I would use her to vent my frustration and anger on. Forget about emails they are too easy to delete or she may even have blacklisted you. Send her polite carefully-worded letters that she has to open and read, saying you hope she wasn't in any way disappointed with the video and expressing great surprise and bafflement that you haven;t received her cheque yet, Ring her up (presumably you have her address and can find her phone number) and say the same thing. Embarrass her and make her feel bad, Treat it as a game and if you keep going long enough she may end up paying you but either way she will have served a useful purpose!

Seriously, you have to ask for payment upfront, customers won't be surprised or even offended at that, it is perfectly businesslike.

Good luck with the enterprise.

Yea I've definately thought about ways to 'encourage' her to pay for the product. We have her address, phone, email etc....and in america I am familiar enough with the laws and customs to bother her. Here in France though things are a lot different, for example filming someone or posting them online without consent could land us in some trouble and of course wouldn't be good for our enterprise. Lesson learned;.....Cash first! Thanks for all who replied!

I suppose you're right but it seems a shame to let it go, such wonderful opportunities ... you had her consent to film her after all, and you still own the product because she hasnt paid you for it ... a slightly editied version on U-tube, send her the link ...