Pergola

powerdesal

Not the usual woodworking but I enjoyed doing it.

I had 'blagged' some good lengths of meranti from a contractor so

decided that a bit of shade would not go amiss. All the half joints are

'tight' with no mechanical fixings. The main top rails are bolted to

the uprights with lag screws. Its now covered with shade netting and

fitted with carriage style lanterns at each corner. The garden has

grown a bit more greenery since then.

It certainly appears to be durable, the weather here is not very kind to timber as you can imagine, the intense sunshine really doesn't help. It's imported (obviously) from India I believe. The quality varies tremendously from quite a dense grain structure to what can only be described as dross. The pergola stuff seemed to be a good quality and it was very nice to work with. It wasn't really an indulgence as shade was / is quite a high priority if we want to use the garden. Because of the orientation of the house we get full sun on that garden all day.

I have turned some of it and its not toooooo bad, not a patch on the european woods but ....... It takes quite a bit of finishing if you want anything decent as furniture.

[quote user="Chris Head"]

400 or so joints in this one.

Chris

[/quote]

Crikey Chris, it will take you a month to smoke that many...

It looks more like the makings of a house than a pergola. I'll bet it looked really smart when it was finished! Nice bit of candy twist on the top. How was that done 'cause it's too deep for a router and very time consuming by hand? I'm not going to show the one I did by our pool [:'(]...

3 weeks actually John, (don't tell any of Dicks siblings tho, I couldn't afford them here!).

The twist is cut by chainsaw, 20 mins - 1/2 hr each and sanded.

I WANT to see the one by your pool!

And that's my Welsh right hand man,well he couldn't possibly be English being that ugly could he?

Chris

[quote user="Chris Head"]

The twist is cut by chainsaw, 20 mins - 1/2 hr each and sanded.

I WANT to see the one by your pool!

And that's my Welsh right hand man,well he couldn't possibly be English being that ugly could he?

Chris

[/quote]

1. I really am impressed, 30 mins each, sh!t !!! That'z shifting! I need some chain saw lessons from you and I will introduce you to turning. You never know you may like the finess involved and if I ever find it I may too

2. Not a chance, the bruddy thing is shop bought pine and not even that straight and even the vines growing up it are krooced (?).

3. You will have the Trogs after you for that one! (oh hell, what have I just said now they will join the kat loverz and really be after my ask?)