Clock movements

Chris Head

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

I think it's so romantic that you're carving a clock for Saras Christmas present. 

It's also practical for chucking at you when you roll in at 3am drunk as a skunk[:)]

[/quote]

You wouldn't do that to me would you Twinks? God you coal miners are a tough lot.

Last time I rolled in at 3am, well closer to 4am was in August at the Moutonardes (where sheeps testicles are eaten, first time I ever had a testicle in my mouth and that's the truth doggone it!), I was abandonned by Sarah around midnight and decided to tab it home having had a hearty time with the locals, it's about 7k by road but probably a k or two less overland, did I get lost or wot? I'd lined up my waypoints but got the wrong hamlet! That hooch had a serious kick.

hi Chris

Found one more that might be of interest:-
http://www.ordersonline.co.uk/budetime/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Quartz_Clock_Movement_Kits_5.html

The middle one of the 3 shows length of hands driven to be 210mm and the drop down box shows max spindle of 22mm length

Anyway hope this is of some help. Might be worth contacting them with your thoughts about carved hands? 

Hi Chris,  tend to agree with George that if you carve the hands for the clock they may be a td too heavy for the movement. They would also have to have a very precise fit on the spindle and a very shallow depth where they fit on the spindle. That would tend to make a carved hand very weak at that point. I know that xminster do have a range of movements and hands, but I have not had chance to look at the other sites posted.

Basically, I think that the reason behind this project is not romantic, as some of our lovely lady (?) posters have said, but because you are a bloody tight wad [kiss][Www][:$][;-)].

Good luck mate. Hey I heard rhumours you are in the market for un un-burped amp? Any truth in 'em? [6]

Own up and take the flack like a man(?). It must be better than what you are taking now?

I think it'll be easier to buy the hands, nice brass ones should work well with the Oak. I was going to start this afternoon but rashly volunteered to cook for the family this evening!

It's a nice little project, I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

My motives are entirely romantic John! Yep still in the market for that amp, it's gotta be a helluva an amp though, the speakers are rather powerful! So if you happen to see something that resembles a top of the range Nad or Cambridge Audio amp falling off the back of a lorry then I'm yer man!

• 4 weeks later...
Try anything other than the 'ready made' quartz movements, I have tried fitting them to two clocks and have never got one to work yet! My mother - in - law also gave me a clock with one fitted, it refuses to work when hung on the wall, but the minute I take it down to bin it, it starts up again!