Beech door?

Alane

I have some beech planks that I am thinking of using to make a plank door. I haven't seen beech used for this purpose before so wondered if there was a good reason not to use it?

Any help gratefully received.

Now steady on here and no laughing, i remember that all the old school desks, the ones with the inkwell in them, were made from beech and they seemed pretty durable then. They withstood numerous scrapings/carvings, chewing gum and the odd bit of slamming down ( teachers's way of having fun when you are kipping in the back row ) and they withstood the ravages of numerous years of general abuse, now that must be classed as durable !!!

PS no ageist remarks pls [:)]

In my first year at Grammar School, one teacher used to place the boy's head and shoulders in the desk: and sit on the lid................................ kept 'em quiet![blink]

He was called Morris, had - allegdedly - been a mule driver in WWI and accordingly his nickname was Moke. He was my first form master and our geography master, too.

I do suspect our desks were made of oak, however. Probably 'cos in the upper school we had to mend the damned things in our woodwork classes!

Thank you for the responses. I should have said that the door is an internal one so won't be subject to severe sun and rain. I think I'll just go ahead and try it. If it distorts later then it won't be the end of the world if I have to go to Lapeyre and buy one of their rustic doors.