Chain Saw Chains

Anton Redman

Every other power tool I own has varying quality blades, bits etc. Broadly you get what you pay for and a decent circular saw blade now costs more than a cheap circular saw.  

Locally all chain saw chains seem to be the same. Are better quality items available ? If so where and what brands ?   

The MS 240 is a good little workhorse Anton & don't be shy about the electric saw...they're great! The longer the bar the harder the saw has to work to pull the chain through the timber and the less power is delivered to the chain, really 35cm is the longest bar the 240 should have, imho, but you'd get away with 40cm I guess. To give you an idea, I have a 45cm bar & 'doctored' chain set up on an MS460 (76cc & mean with it!) and even that sometimes moans a bit!

I thought the 240 ran on .325? But it might be 3/8 picco, the 3/8 picco micro is a great chain too...I'm not a saw mechanic tho! The Stihl Rapid Micro .325 chain is a superb chain and suitable for the saw, depending on guide bar length (knives have blades Anton). Different chains have different performance characteristics Anton, it's quite a subject. It took me a few years before I really got to grips with balancing how much chain 'power' a saw could handle, chain types, bar lengths, sharpening angles for different jobs & species of timber etc. It might be better to pop into your dealer & ask his advice?

Don't forget to check bar & sprocket for wear and if you don't know already, learn how to sharpen properly. Be careful with those fallen trees, there's plenty of traps ready to get you just when you least expected it...as no doubt you know by now?

Good luck...can I come and play?