How to remove Danish Oil from new oak worktop?

WJT

Does anyone know how I can remove Danish oil from a new oak worktop? It was put on a few months ago and it is a red colour. I just tried the 3v3 huile incolour mat product made for worktops on an off cut and it is a beautiful light golden colour so was hoping I could get the danish oil off. Any advice would be most appreciated.

You could try sanding. to get the top protective film off and then neat bleach to the wood, (I have done this successfully) but the colour is a dye and may have penetrated a little way, [try a hidden area first[Www]] Alternatively if it is not fixed it might be possible to flip the worktop and use the bottom?

Thank you John, that is what I was afraid of. You can see on the sides how deeply it has penetrated. Even though it is new and was delivered this way the bottom side is full of worm holes there are quit a lot on top but the bottom is full of them so not possible to turn it over. Thanks again.

P.S. By the way, is it normal that Danish oil has a red tint?

Just checked the piece that I used the 3v3 product on and after the second coat it is turning a little red not quite as bad as the Danish oil but it is still red. The artisan that made it said it could be red oak and not white oak so I guess that is what it is. The first coat of the 3v3 looked beautiful but I guess the second is starting to bring out the red. Thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
I have just found this thread. The way I would do it is to use a cabinet scraper. It will take fine scrapes off of the surface and although no as easy to use as a mechanical sander is much more accurate to get a good finish.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-veritas-super-hard-milled-scrapers-prod788351/ this is the thing I mean. And this looks as if it shows you what it does. A very useful tool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3sqDWFAA0s

They certainly look excellent! However, I am sure I would bodge the whole worktop. I also would be afraid it would open up the wood worm holes further. In any case even if I took the danish oil off not sure what I could use that wouldn't turn it reddish. The other product turned it a similar colour albeit not quite as dark. It appears he used red oak.

Thank you anyway Jonzjob and also Suein56 for the links.

Danish oil come in various colours starting with totally clear and various wood colours. This is link to the stuff I use http://www.rustins.eu/Results1.asp?Category=5 . It is very good stuff. You could be interested in the indoor Danish oil and the worktop oil.

A scraper is really easy to use and you will have to try very hard to screw up yer worktop, honest!! If the worktop is chock full of holes and it's only a few months old I would tend to contact the guy who fitted it and tell him to come and replace it.. A new worktop should not have any holes in it from woodworm

Thank you Jonzjob.

Unfortunately, even if I was successful at scraping it off,  after trying some other clear oil on an off cut it turned quite red as well so I don't think it would make much of a difference. I think it is because he used red oak. Unfortunately the work top had wood worm holes in it when it was delivered with the island unit it was made for so not much I can do about it now. Thank you again.