Spirit-based vernis

Ian

Does anyone know where I can get this, easily, in France?

I've run out of the V33 stuff I bought a couple of years ago, and all I can find is water-based stuff. This is no use to me, as I like to make up my own mixture, with BLO and terebenthine - a wiping varnish.

I'm currently using huile de parquet, as it's spirit-based, but I don't know what it is. Is it just vernis under a different name?

Cheers

After being very disappointed with a water based lasure, which seemed to have as much effect on the wood as pure water after it dried, I found our local Mr Bricolage still had some white spirit based lasure and varnish, so stocked up with some litres of each. You may be lucky if you check out your local "brico-shops" before their stock runs out.

I could no longer get dark coloured varnish nor lasure in any of the stores I tried, but on our next trip to Spain we found ample stocks of both, spirit based, and in any tint we could possibly need. I also bought 5 litres of white spirit, just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I'll have a look in Mr Bricolage next time I'm in town - not sure we have a Centrkor nearby, though.

When I was browsing in Leroy Merlin, as one does, I came across a the Liberon Vernis Bistrot range. Spirit-based, silk or gloss, around €25 for 1L tin. I bought a tin, so will see how it goes.

PS, I asked Liberon UK for some advice on a similar matter, and the reply came back from a V33 email address - looks like they're the same group....

Cheers