Removal of 'rare earth magnets

cajal

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on how I could remove rare earth magnets which are embedded in the four corners of my router table insert plate rebate. They are there to enable the fine levelling grub screws in the insert plate to be stablized.

I want to rout out the existing rebate to accept a larger and thicker Incra or JessEmm insert plate but the magnets will not facilitate this process whilst they are in situ.

I have considered drilling a small hole up from the underside of the table to enable me to knock the magnets out with a drift.

Any other ideas please???? I would rather not drill the table unless absolutely necessary

Regards

cajal

What is the material the magnets are set into? This would have a big effect on any recommendation.  If they are held in with epoxy glue like Araldite etc which is common, heat will soften the glue and allow easy removal, if you can use heat of course without damaging other parts.

[quote user="cajal"]

I want to rout out the existing rebate to accept a larger and thicker Incra or JessEmm insert plate but the magnets will not facilitate this process whilst they are in situ.

[/quote]

I doubt they are held in with their magnetic force although it is possible so using  heat to remove the magnetism isn't going to work as cajal want's them out to increase a rebate which to me suggest non ferrous plate.  The use of a soldering iron would soften the glue though.

Hi,

Thanks for the selection of suggestions and ideas. A lot of thinking going on 'outside the box'

The

composition of the table top is thermoset phenolic plastic laminate

covering 40mm MDF.  I suspect the magnets are glued in with an

Araldite/pu brand of glue which could possibly be softened with the use

of a decent powered hair dryer or heat gun (on low setting) held well

away from the table.

Unfortunately drilling these magnets is a big 'no no'.  Any holes you may find in neodymium is there because it was cast that way and not machined. Drilling them produces a powder of tiny particles of metal,

which is flammable!

I'm sure the combination of heat and a screw extractor in a drilled hole would have done the trick.

I will try the applicatipn of heat but the 'then problem' will be getting a hold on them as they sit in a counterbored hole at the bottom of the rebate. So it is looking as though I will have to drill, carefully, from underneath for the push out method as opposed to the pull out method from above.

Once again to you all, thanks. I very much appreciate your input.

Regards

cajal

No photos? I like photos they are worth a thousand thingies.

If you can soften the adhesive with heat then it should be possible to get 2 small screwdrivers, one each side, and lever them out. After all, that's the hole they went in by and I doubt that they are an interference fit? failing that, a small hole on opposing sides and the small screwdrivers??

I agree with the drill/easyout method would be difficult. Rare earth magnets are VERY hard!!