Brits married to Americans

JonG

Hi - new to the forum and apologies if this has been chewed over many a time, but can anyone tell me what the latest is on Brits married to US citizens moving to France?

I think I (the Brit) get automatic residency/permission to work, provided I let them know I'm there, but what about her (the American)?

Some suggest she just has to register at the Prefecture within 2 months of arrival to get her carte de sejour, others that she has to apply for a long stay visa in the US first. Anyone help here?

Cheers!

What I do know is that the rules have indeed changed as non EU citizens have to apply for and be granted a long stay visa prior to arrival in France, otherwise they are limited to ninety days.

Whether or not the situation is different for a spouse of an EU citizen I do not know, but it seems logical that it also has to be obtained before arrival.

To be certain you need to make enquiries with the French Embassy in Washington DC.

From service public

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F2653.xhtml

Séjour de la famille non-européenne durant les 5 premières années

Titre de séjour obligatoire

Les membres de famille majeurs (ou de plus de 16 ans s'ils veulent travailler) non européens doivent détenir un titre de séjour.

Ils doivent le demander dans les 3 mois de leur entrée en France.

Dans un délai maximum de 6 mois, une carte "CE - membre de famille - toutes activités professionnelles" leur est délivrée, sous réserve d'absence de menace pour l'ordre public.

Cette carte est de même durée que le titre du citoyen européen ou, s'il ne l'a pas demandé, de celui auquel il peut prétendre, dans la limite de 5 ans.