Is this quimper?

loz

Hi

Can anyone tell me if my avatar is quimper? I found it in the garden it is about 4" across small plate and a wavy raised edge. An impressed potter mark on the bottom of a walking stick with 3 lines through it. I did'nt chip it with the garden fork WoW!! I can send a larger picture if anyone is interested.

I have had a very quick look at 'Tardy' which is the standard work of reference and so far can only come up with Nevers (but the mark has an ealier date than your plate which looks like C20th to me) or Malicorne, manufacure by Pouplard but that would be a stretch.

Do you which faiencerie you are nearest to ?

Firstly the impressed mark is not Quimper and the factory I think you are referring to is HB for the de la Hubaudiere. Very few Quimper marks are impressed, (the two that come to mind quickly are a triangular early mark from early HB  and a much later marks by Keraluc) most marks are painted.

Secondly the mold is not one I am familiar with ( I have been collecting Q for over 10years and have 500 + pieces) and although it is difficult to tell without handling the piece the actual 'body' looks wrong.

Over the years Quimper have issued ranges of faience showing different regions of France and also produced pieces to order with regional decoration. These were succesful lines and of course other faienceries were keen to climb on the band wagon and they were much copied.

However I can always be wrong and so I sent the link to a good friend who lives in Quimper and who has close connections with the faienceries and auction houses. She was also involved in the production of one of the first English language books on the subject of Quimper Pottery. She doesn't recognise the mark either, however thinks the clue may be in the artists sig which is on the left at the front.

I'll try and print out the pics and I'll ask the 'experts' when I see them in a couple of weeks. If its a rare find I'll let you know.......[;-)]

The main thing is that is an attractive piece, if you like it. that is what counts  [:D]