Woodworm

I recently purchased a small desk from a brocante/antiques shop and have noticed there are small beetle like creatures emerging from small holes on one of the legs.  I am guessing this to be woodworm.  Can anyone tell me what the easiest form of treatment for this is please.

Paint with wood worm fluid from the DIY sheds - you may have difficulty finding anything in a small tin though.   3 coats recommended.

Check that the fluid does not spoil any varnish or finish on the piece of furniture. 

Avoid anything for injecting into the holes - this simply does not work since the hole is a result of the beetle leaving the wood, so you are treating an empty hole.

Good luck

[quote user="andyh4"]

...  Avoid anything for injecting into the holes - this simply does not work since the hole is a result of the beetle leaving the wood, so you are treating an empty hole.

[/quote]

I have used Cuprinol Low Odour Woodworm Killer with excellent results.  For finished surfaces it is injected via the flight holes but the fluid soaks into the surrounding wood very quickly and carries the insecticide with it.  For bare surfaces like the insides of furniture and the undersides of chairs, just brush it onto the bare wood.