Parsnips

Pushkin

I forgot to mention the other day, when posting about Belgian chocolates, that Super U in Tonnay Charente have some very nice parsnips on sale.  Ours from the garden had a nasty accident!  We always store them in the barn in a crate of sand and it works wonderfully well.  Unfortunately they weren't covered properly and a feral cat got in and decided to use the crate as a toilet!! 

Pushkin

Give them a good wash and peel them, I'm sure they'll be fine [+o(]

Many supermarkets and markets stalls these days seem to stock panais when in season, there doesn't seem to be the problem of supply there was 5 years ago when they were impossible to find.  They have been promoted in french cuisine magazines who are trying to popularise 'old' veg.

[quote user="bigears"]

hi

we grow great parsnips here in france.  The locals even when presented with some, claim they do not know of them.

[/quote]

Our parsnips were beautiful but, as you can see from my previous post, they had a nasty accident.  We get the same reaction from our neighbours bigears.  One did go so far as having a sniff at them then made a funny face!  I don't think he was hooked.

Pushkin

As far as we can make out the Frence only seenm to use them as pig food. The last time we had them was 2 days ago from our local bio supermarket. Wonderful stuff...

I must admit though that if a cat had used the pile for it's toilet I would think twice before eating them no matter how well they were washed???[+o(]