What do next of kin do when someone dies in France intestate?

HyacinthB

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know the answer to this, but my first reaction was to think that most people in France probably die intestate.  A will has no effect if it doesn't comply with French inheritance law, so I would guess that most people don't bother to make one.

Does anyone know whether this is true?  If it is, there must be a well-established procedure on which any notary should be able to advise you.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband died suddenly a week ago.Within two days we had to see the notaire re the inheritance issue (it moves very very fast here). Luckily we did donation entre époux which covers my lifetime right to the property and keeps it safe for the children. The limit is €300,00 on a property value before inheritance tax kicks in and this includes everything of value not just the property - in my case its my car as well even though its in my name. The children are direct heirs but if you have no children with the deceased, inheritance tax kicks in at 60% of the value of the property and goods. Luckily we had a joint bank account with OU not ET so I am able to continue to use it. Be warned, you need to make a french will because otherwise it will take months to sort things out. Any vehicle belonging to the deceased which the survivor uses has to be re-registered and new plates fitted if old style but a new cart grise will cost a few hundred euros too! Everyone has to be informed from banks to the social security for health and pension etc. There is also a limit of the body only being kept for 6 days freely in the hospital morge before you must have embalming done and the fancy undertakers charge storage by the day. We have used the local artisan pompes funèbres and that is adding up to around €1800 without any c emetary fees.

YOU ARE ALSO NOT ALLOWED TO KEEP ANY ASHES OF THE DECEASED IN YOUR HOUSE OR ON YOUR PROPERTY either,they have to be either scattered where authorised or placed in a cementary grave or columbarium.