Delivery for on-line purchase...

Nell

I am about to order a Freezer on-line from Villatech, but it says it is 5-10 working days for delivery. Will they email me and let me know when to expect delivery ??, or do I have to stay home for 10 days just in case [:)]

Anyone used this on-line site and can tell me ??

I ordered a TV from Pixmania about 2 years ago, but that was 1-2 day delivery, so I didn't mind staying put for 2 days, but 10 days !!!!

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Just an update....

After much searching I ended up ordering freezer from MaisMoinCher.

I reveived an email last Friday to tell me it would be delivered "Tuesday at 10:14 (+ or - 1 hour)"

My first thought - Yeah right [:-))]

A man in a van turned up with my freezer at 10:13 !!!!!! I have walked round all day totally bemused, so I thought I would share ..... [:)]

Yesterday phoned Alice about the "bloc d'alimentation" (feeding block), it left Paris at 3:30 AM and arrived in Poitiers at 07:06AM.

Unfortunately nothing more precise than an arrival SOMETIME today, UPS seems to be an american company with less sophisticated GPS planning software.

I was amused the other day on the 70th anniversary of the discovery of Lascaux that if one enters unwittingly Lascaux in ones GPS it goes to Lascaux; that Lascaux is 70 kilometres from the location of the grotto with the cro-magnon art. Montignac is in fact a tad closer to the grotte.[:)]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

I was amused the other day on the 70th anniversary of the discovery of Lascaux that if one enters unwittingly Lascaux in ones GPS it goes to Lascaux

[/quote]

What else would one expect from a SatNav machine? Perhaps you should have entered Lascaux wittingly ?

John

If one enters Lascaux into ones GPS and it takes one to Lascaux, then it has done its job.

However, if one enters Grotte de Lascaux as ones destination, I am sure one would not be too disappointed.

Accuracy of successful navigation to ones selected destination is determined by human input. :-)

I do prefer to use my "A" level in geography and a good map.

But in august I was taken to visit the Zoo at St Aignan Beauval. The TomTom made 6 fundamental errors of navigation in a 2 hour journey; the most amusing malfunction resulted on entry at Poitiers Nord being directed south resulting in viewing the Aquitaine Autoroute between Poitiers Nord and Poitiers Sud in both cardinal directions. Obviously a recent First Class Degree from a UK University held by the driver is of less practical use than an "A" Level Geography of 1950s vintage.

But at lunch time the feeding block has still not been delivered.

GPS is just another tool Patf. It doesn't replace the ability to read map / chart / compass in remote situations and like GPS, most of the problems that occur are simply due to human error.

As you rightly say, except for a minority of GPS models which contain 'real' mapping software, the true pleasure comes in studying a paper map.

However, it makes absolutely no difference if one has 'A' level geography, a "First Class Degree from a UK University", or a Fellowship of the Royal Institute of Navigation, mapping software takes time to be updated just as paper maps do not get revised on a monthly basis.

Not many folk would consider navigating their way around a major city using a paper map years out of date, but I wonder if the same can be said about GPS users ?

[quote user="pachapapa"]

I do prefer to use my "A" level in geography and a good map.

But in august I was taken to visit the Zoo at St Aignan Beauval. The TomTom made 6 fundamental errors of navigation in a 2 hour journey; the most amusing malfunction resulted on entry at Poitiers Nord being directed south resulting in viewing the Aquitaine Autoroute between Poitiers Nord and Poitiers Sud in both cardinal directions. Obviously a recent First Class Degree from a UK University held by the driver is of less practical use than an "A" Level Geography of 1950s vintage.

But at lunch time the feeding block has still not been delivered.

[/quote]

And now the good news!

At about 3:00 PM received a fixed line phone call from a polite lady enquiring as to the exact location of my address. Gave her the details and she advised of her anticipated arrival within 15 minutes. Duly signed with a stylet on a thing like an iPad for the delivery. Enquired if my "ruelle et chaumière" appeared on her SatNav and she replied "Non, m'sieur".  Well UPS have got really serious SatNav gear in their vans and full updating frequently. Fortunately with my EXPERT geographical knowledge I was able to advise the quickest route back to Poitiers.Oh yes, the new feeding block works hunky dory, got a lovely little green led, doesn't get hot and the AliceBox doesn't trip out.

P.S. Small technical point if one has trouble with one's Box it is 93.7649%  that there is a fault with the feeeding block(bloc d'alimentation/adaptateur).

P.P.S. Phew I can sleep in tranquility knowing that I dont appear on nasty SayNavs.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]GPS is just another tool Patf. It doesn't replace the ability to read map / chart / compass in remote situations and like GPS, most of the problems that occur are simply due to human error. As you rightly say, except for a minority of GPS models which contain 'real' mapping software, the true pleasure comes in studying a paper map. However, it makes absolutely no difference if one has 'A' level geography, a "First Class Degree from a UK University", or a Fellowship of the Royal Institute of Navigation, mapping software takes time to be updated just as paper maps do not get revised on a monthly basis. Not many folk would consider navigating their way around a major city using a paper map years out of date, but I wonder if the same can be said about GPS users ?[/quote]

Reading your post I have obviously made an error in the apparently false assumption that a company such as U.P.S would have their SatNav software right up to date.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]Ferdinand Magellan would have been very proud of you, and I'm sure the driver appreciated your "EXPERT" geographical knowledge. Just a shame it didn't extend to knowing the difference twixt Lascaux and Grotte de Lascaux ! Such is life.[/quote]

The reference to Lascaux wax not in any way a personal navigation experience but  was reference to the discovery of the Grotte de Lascaux 70 years ago. The poisonous dwarf made a private visit to see the cro-magnon paintings to celebrate the occasion. TF1 as part of the coverage of the event mentioned the GPS_Lascaux_conundrum and in so doing mentioned the proximity of the grotte to the commune of Montignac.

I apologise for misleading you into thinking it was a personal experience and do understand fully that the pressure professional duties would have obviated you  watching the One O'Clock news in french on french national television.

The USP delivery lady informed me that often rural areas in La Vienne and the Deux-Sèvres were not nominatively covered by the GPS SarNav systems.

In the year after the 11th september twin towers event the road at the side of which I live was given a name purportedly as a security measure, similarly each dwelling was given a number; I and Mr Magellan would have thought that 8 years was sufficient time to update the information on SatNav maps.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

The USP delivery lady informed me that often rural areas in La Vienne and the Deux-Sèvres were not nominatively covered by the GPS SarNav systems.

In the year after the 11th september twin towers event the road at the side of which I live was given a name purportedly as a security measure, similarly each dwelling was given a number; I and Mr Magellan would have thought that 8 years was sufficient time to update the information on SatNav maps.

[/quote]

Well that raised a titter [:D] 

Rest assured Mr P, your residence is quite easily locatable using a better quality GPS unit with half decent mapping, so you're just as likely to be targetted by a rogue missile operator as are the rest of us mere mortals.

[:D] 

[quote user="Salty Sam"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

Well that raised a titter [:D] 

Rest assured Mr P, your residence is quite easily locatable using a better quality GPS unit with half decent mapping, so you're just as likely to be targetted by a rogue missile operator as are the rest of us mere mortals.

[:D] 

[/quote]

Oh My God!! You mean those psychopathic hugenots will be able to locate "ma residence secondaire" in Bulgaria.

Looks like I'll have to go troglodytic....perhaps Lascaux.[:)]