CHAPATIES!! (is that how its spelt??)

Frank

Hi everyone, hope someone can help. Is there anywhere in the Saintes/Royan/Jonzac triangle that sells chapaties or the flour to make them please. I am having a curry night with some French friends who have never had curry and was wanting it to be authentic! Any help/advice greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance

Have you read my thread on "Naan Bread"?

Might be easier as you don't need special flour.  Mind you, I have given up the idea of making them for my guests as I am running out of time to do another dummy run, the first one having resulted in unqualified failure!

Let us know how you get on, won't you?  I could then learn vicariously through your experience....[:)]

Jetlag, glad you are sorted.

I never thought one needs special flour to make chapatis. I use any bio T110 or T65 flour to make mine, and since I have discovered Manjula and her famous kitchen, they have been an easy, resounding success. In fact, they can be used as wraps, or tortillas! Watch this clip, and in 7 minutes, your chapati-making life might be changed for the better.

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2007/03/21/roti-chapati-flat-indian-bread/

[quote user="jetlag"]Many thanks to everyone for your replies. I saw some naan bread for sale in Super U today, so will get some of that instead. Thanks again!![/quote]

Lucky jetlag, no Super U near me, alas!  En plus the boulangerie in our village closed recently so OH will be sent out tomorrow to the next village to get the baguettes.[:(]

[quote user="5-element"]

Jetlag, glad you are sorted.

I never thought one needs special flour to make chapatis. I use any bio T110 or T65 flour to make mine, and since I have discovered Manjula and her famous kitchen, they have been an easy, resounding success. In fact, they can be used as wraps, or tortillas! Watch this clip, and in 7 minutes, your chapati-making life might be changed for the better.

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2007/03/21/roti-chapati-flat-indian-bread/

[/quote]pre

Hey, 5-e, that sounds like something even a dolt like me can manage.  I have to finish preparing the meal for tomorrow and sorting out the dishes, cutlery, etc but, if I have time, I will definitely have a go at the chapatis.

Miam, miam..... 

Sweet, before Manjula, all my chapatis turned out like cardboard. Sometimes, half-carbonised too. Never like the ones in Indian restos.

Now I can't believe how easy it is. Last time I made some (with overseas visitors), one said: "I didn't know you could buy tortillas here!!!"

They are also easier to digest than bread (no yeast). Trouble is, it's difficult not to eat too many.[:)]

Good luck for tomorrow's guests (although I doubt very much that you would need luck, as you seem pretty competent!)

[quote user="gosub"]Try making some of the Indian breads in these RECIPES
[/quote]

Les, that's a fantastic site altogether.  Will get together with my neighbour when I'm ready to order stuff.  Postage is only £7.50 to France if over £30.

Have you used them yourself?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="gosub"]Try making some of the Indian breads in these RECIPES

[/quote]

Les, that's a fantastic site altogether.  Will get together with my neighbour when I'm ready to order stuff.  Postage is only £7.50 to France if over £30.

Have you used them yourself?

[/quote]

I have used them many times, in France and the UK. Fantastic delivery service and quality goods.